Scenery

Discussion of painting, conversions, and the aesthetic side of the hobby

Scenery

Postby Palfy » Sunday 29th July, 2012 4:09 pm

So from the Wargames for Science money, we decided to make a load of magnetised forests.

Here is the prototype* I made, and unless anyone objects/has any other great ideas, I'll make the rest of them. Stuff like static grass/water effects/skeletons/whatever can be added to some of the bases to make them look more interesting. The trees are just some random old ones I had. Tommen is sorting some out from China, depending on costs.
(*Ignore the ring in the middle, please :oops: )

The tress are stuck on repair washers (this saves having to make sure all the magnets go in the same way around). They can either be put straight onto the washer, or stuck onto a base first. Which do people think looks better?
We can add other things instead of trees, like bits of rubble/weapon crates/ jungle plants (had to get this in there for my ogres ;) ...) to make other types of terrain

John Poultryman
Palfy

Re: Scenery

Postby Talorian » Sunday 29th July, 2012 4:41 pm

Looking good Tom. I think I would prefer the trees directly on the washers, to reduce the look of every tree being on a mound, though I suppose with them being on bases means you can stand them on their own if you felt so inclined.

I have plenty of spare flock if you want to come and grab some, in a variety of shades as well to provide a little bit of variety.

Does anyone know if a decision was made as to whether to replace the cloths or not?
Talorian

Postby Palfy » Sunday 29th July, 2012 8:15 pm

Do I need to put sand on all of the bases and then put flock on top like the ones in the picture below picture, or just straight flock?

In either case, I'll take you up on your offer ;)

John Poultryman
Palfy

Postby Dephiler » Monday 30th July, 2012 11:47 am

They look great Tom! It's a cracking idea, if the trees are magnetised it means larger models will be able to move through and hide in terrain without damaging themselves or the folliage.
Row Row fight the powah!
Dephiler

Postby The Kremlin » Monday 30th July, 2012 12:13 pm

Love them :-)

Just waiting for the first time I move a magnetised unit over it and half of them fall over though!
The Kremlin

Return to Studio Gribbly