Alternative Epic Bases

Discussion of painting, conversions, and the aesthetic side of the hobby

Alternative Epic Bases

Postby Mattman » Monday 14th May, 2012 6:16 pm

Spinning off from the discussion in the introduction thread. I mentioned that I was rebasing my epic marines on round bases rather than the traditional square or rectangular ones. For those that are interested, this is what they look like:

The bases are from Litko and are 0.8mm thick 25mm diameter plywood discs for the top half and 0.025 inch thick 25mm diameter flexsteel for the bottom.
The holes have been drilled through and they aren't all perfectly in the same position which I believe helps make the units look a little bit more natural rather than having every man standing in exactly the same position.

Matt
Mattman

Re: Alternative Epic Bases

Postby Tommen » Saturday 26th May, 2012 5:20 pm

How strict is epic when it comes to bases being the correct size/shape? I have some flat round plastic ones I bought for DH/C7B that I never used but they seem a similar size to yours
Tommen

Postby Mattman » Saturday 26th May, 2012 7:27 pm

All the epic games have adopted a flexible approach to basing, minimum 5mm on any side, maximum 40mm, at least one side larger than 20mm, any shape you want, as long as you aren't trying to break the system. I have seen round, hexagon, diamond, oval as well as the usual square and rectangular bases. In most peoples cases it is what they think is the most aesthetically pleasing for their army.
Mattman

Postby Rick » Tuesday 27th November, 2012 10:11 pm

I had a look at these bases but the cost and additional postage to import them from the US put me off. However, for those looking for a cheaper alternative there are a number of suppliers selling 2mm thick MDF bases on ebay for around £2.50 for 50 25mm round bases. The tricky bit is you ideally need to be able to drill part way through to mount the models which requires a special drill bit.

Nids are in progress! What point values are people typically playing?
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick

Postby Mattman » Wednesday 28th November, 2012 10:49 am

The couple of games me and Dave have played have been 4000pts, seems to be a good level to understand the rules and get a few different units in to try them out. When everyone is happy with the rules I would expect a step up to maybe 5000/6000.

Those bases weren't cheap coming from the US and I still had to drill/punch my own holes, but at the time they were the only ones I could find that did them in 0.8mm ply (didn't want to go thicker).
I did think about a single piece base, but like you say Rick, you need a special bit to drill them. That is why I went for the 2 piece approach, so it is easy to put holes through the top layer and then just stick it to the bottom.
To try and reduce the cost in the future I have been having a look round, and someone on TacCom mentioned these guys:

Fenris Games

(might be who you spotted in eBay?)
He asked them if they could do some bases for Epic and they produced these for him:

15 x 30mm movement trays 6mm cutouts set of 50

So I have dropped them a line to see if they would do the same thing with a 25mm round base and 6mm cut outs, seeing as they do 25mms normally and they work in 0.8mm as well for some of their other bases. Just waiting to hear back.

Matt
Mattman

Postby Rick » Wednesday 28th November, 2012 1:55 pm

That kind of thing, I used these guys:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400340866952? ... 1497.l2649
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110970612275? ... 1497.l2649

I reckon I can field somewhere between 7000 and 9000pts total with what I've got depending on how much extra stuff I scratch build. I'll let you know when I have something playable.
Rick

Postby Mattman » Wednesday 28th November, 2012 4:40 pm

I prefer the thinner ply myself. If you can get a tool that will carve out 6mm holes in a single base, and can do it quickly, then go for it.

What I can field is a different question all together ;) my Titan Legion is 20,000 points and growing.
Marines I suspect close to 10k when everything gets based.
Eldar maybe 10k as well, although they are a bit battered and need some repairing and TLC.
As always, none of it is painted :oops: maybe that will be my job over Christmas, finally get something painted, how hard can 4k of epic marines be to paint green?

If you are looking for something different in terms of bases, these Tyranids look pretty sweet.

http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24175

Matt
Mattman

Postby Mattman » Thursday 29th November, 2012 5:37 pm

Just heard back from Fenris and they can do 50 of the 25mm round bases with 5 6mm holes cut into them for £4.99. Can be done in either 0.8mm or 1.5mm ply.
You would then need another round to stick the cut one to, which they have on their site for £4 for 50, so in total you would be looking at around £9 for 50 complete bases, you just have to stick the top to the bottom.
I am going to most probably order a couple of hundred complete bases, if anyone else wants some then let me know.

Matt
Mattman

Postby Talorian » Thursday 29th November, 2012 5:45 pm

I'd like some, 0.8mm and I'll have 150 of each please :)
Talorian

Postby Mattman » Friday 30th November, 2012 10:44 am

Right o. Anyone else? Will most probably look to confirm the order early next week.

Matt
Mattman

Postby Rick » Friday 30th November, 2012 11:08 am

I've already mounted a lot of mine but I'll go for one lot of 50 on 0.8mm. Saves me drilling 200 of the 225 holes remaining :)
Rick

Postby Mattman » Friday 30th November, 2012 12:13 pm

Okay.
Obviously for bikes, dreads and things with rectangular bases I think it is easier to cut you own holes in them. Easy to make 1 or 2 rectangular holes than 5 small round ones ;)

Matt
Mattman

Return to Studio Gribbly