House Lannister Bretonnians

Discussion of painting, conversions, and the aesthetic side of the hobby

House Lannister Bretonnians

Postby Morph » Wednesday 4th January, 2012 8:54 pm

*WARNING - This blog contains inexpertly painted miniatures and nerdy discussion of a Song of ice & Fire*

So yes, here's my thought process on making a Bretonnian army inspired by everyone's favourite Game of Thrones House (well mine anyway) House Lannister.

I blame Sam for this, his scholarly knowledge of Westeros tipped me over the edge. The important bit to note is that the army is inspired by the Lannisters, it's not supposed to be an accurate army in the books (hence I have a wizard) whilst at the same time modelling various heraldry and characters. The following are collections of my thoughts.

So I've sketched out a 2500 army list consisting of...
Lord
Level 4 wizard
Hero BSB
Hero
Hero
2 x Knights of the Realm
Knights Errant
Grail Knights
2 x mounted yeomen
2 x bowmen
2 x trebuchet

The main units have individual themes...
KotR unit 1 - knights of house Lannister - all painted using reds, yellow and gold. Standard bretonnian models because they look pretty noble.
KotR unit 2 - houses sworn to the Lannisters, each knight from a different house. Similar to the other unit red is prominent but each knight has personal touches based on their house's heraldry, including their device on their shield. It'll be a fun game (guess which one is House Lydden)! Normal bretonnian knights.
Knights Errant - Ser Gregor's band. A marauding group. Possibly using empire knights? Not sure about this yet.
Grail Knights - The Kingsguard. White and gold. Difficulty here is that there are only 7 members of the kingsguard, so this unit will have to be small. Not sure of the models yet. Need to look fancy.

Bowmen - peasants, browns and reds, nothing special.
Mounted yeomen - thanks to Chris for suggesting Empire pistolier horses/legs and Bretonnian men at arms upper bodies. Not sure of the theme or colour scheme yet.
Trebuchets - I was thinking to name them after the catapults used in the defence of Kings Landing. Then I realised in the book they're called 'The Three Whores'. Of course.

Anyway a starting 250 point force can be...
12 Archers
7 Knights of the Realm (including a musician) - think I'm going to split this into 4 from unit 1 and 3 from unit 2.

I've got a few painted and I'm fairly pleased. Photos to come once I work out how to post them here. And later indepth discussion of which characters will be represented. Will Gerion Lannister make the cut?
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Re: House Lannister Bretonnians

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Wednesday 4th January, 2012 9:09 pm

I think you missed the part in the book when the lannisters were riding their pegasi... :D
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby Rick » Wednesday 4th January, 2012 9:21 pm

Not having read a game of thrones or even seen the TV adaptation yet (I know, what sort of a geek am I? I'll get round to it...) I have no idea what you're talking about.

Morph wrote:Mounted yeomen - thanks to Chris for suggesting Empire pistolier horses/legs and Bretonnian men at arms upper bodies.

This is quite an easy and effective conversion. I actually have a few I completed earlier back from when I decided I was collecting bretonnians (before they morphed into the estalian inquisition and then into a box of random crap under my desk). If you text me a reminder next time we see each other I'll bring them along for you to have a look at it if you want.

Like Ian I also prefer the look of knights of the realm with spare large square shields from the men at arms set. It gives a more old fashioned and bulky look for the knights and distinguishes them more from knights errant with small shields and bare heads and the shield heraldry removed from their horses barding. Having said that I don't know what the lannister knights would look like although I assume as its a blatant war of the roses rip off the standard KotR shields would be more appropriate.
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick

Postby Sam » Thursday 5th January, 2012 1:32 am

I think I'm the only one who actually expects (and perhaps hopes) that Uncle Gerion will eventually make an appearance.

Liking the sound of this army. Hazarding a guess at characters, but something like...?
Lord = Tywin
Hero = Jaime
Other Heroes and BSB = Gregor? (Chaos Knight with spiky bits filed off, something suitably large and imposing next to other "normal" knights) Kevan? Tyrion?
Wizard = Cersei

I think the Kingsguard unit is the most difficult. I imagine you'll have Jaime as a Paladin in the army (in fact, how couldn't you?). So that really only leaves 6 for the unit. I know you mentioned including Illyn Payne somewhere... could you bring yourself to include Joffrey too? You could chisel the timeline slightly and have Joffers, the 6 Kingsguard, and then the Hound to add an extra one (he could look scruffy and mean to stand out). They could all be grail knights in the unit together, seeing as the unit doesn't need a champion who'd look different anyway.

Stretching the idea somewhat, the Grail Knights could be something like Joffrey + Kingsguard + "Notables at Court" so the unit becomes The Court of King's Landing. So maybe this could cover characters like Payne, Mace Tyrell, Tyrion, possibly the Red Viper and/or Sansa (a Damsel model on horse with auburn hair would do nicely - though would she be mistaken by some for a wizard?), even Ser Dontos in his motley? I'm not wholly sold on this idea myself and I think it could require an awful lot of conversion work to look the part. Could make for a really interesting looking unit though. Suppose it depends how big the Grail Knight unit needs to be, and whether you put any Lords/Heroes in there as well.

Might I suggest Bloody Mummers for mounted yeomen? Bit of a mixed bag of vagabonds with odd ends of equipment, riding striped "Zorses". Or Tyrion's Clansmen, even. Marauder Horsemen might work as a start for them.

Actually, can you forget all about this army and let me do it instead? :P
"Unleashing a rancid potpouri of lunacy..."
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby The Kremlin » Thursday 5th January, 2012 1:05 pm

Actually, I quite like small grail knight units - they can do a lot of damage for surprisingly few points, if used in support of the larger lances which are the main hammers. Plus, people tend to fixate on them.

Also, interested to see how this army comes out :-)
The Kremlin

Postby Morph » Thursday 5th January, 2012 6:28 pm

My thought was possibly 7 grail knights, which with two characters (hero/lord & wizard) makes 9 for a lance formation. The unit needs to be small because it is bloody expensive, but is two characters too many eggs etc. For modelling purposes I could perhaps make that 8 and 1 character, with King Joffery in the back rank.
I was actually going to have Jaime as one of the grail knights, but Sam is right, he needs to be a paladin at least. It's a unit I want in the army but it's tough for both modelling and working out how to use it.

Sam your idea of bloody mummers is great. Whilst not exactly fitting (the mummers should be feared and mounted yeomen are not) the potential for conversion is too good to pass up.
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby Morph » Saturday 7th January, 2012 11:43 pm

Pictures! Though I think my photography skills could be better. First up we have a unit champion, otherwise known as Lancel Lannister...

And then a couple of knights from his unit...

.. the transfers are a bit shiny. I need to get some matt varnish on there. Otherwise I'm fairly pleased with how they've turned out, and not too slow to do either.
Last edited by Morph on Sunday 8th January, 2012 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morph

Postby thepaintingmonkey » Sunday 8th January, 2012 2:06 pm

They look great scrowe, you should be happy with them. Are the transfers that shiny in reality or is it the curse of photography?

What are you thinking for the non-Lannister designs?
Welcome to the Shatterdome
thepaintingmonkey

Postby Morph » Sunday 8th January, 2012 3:00 pm

If anything they're even more shiny in real life. Hopefully some matt varnish will stop that.

The other unit will have the same red cloth on the horse, but the shields on the side will be painted in whatever colour the house uses, without the symbols. Then I'll try and do the full design on the knight's shield. So house Kenning for instance...

I'll do the quartered orange and grey on the side shields and try and add the suns to the knight's own shield.
Morph

Postby Morph » Sunday 29th January, 2012 1:14 pm

Sneak preview of the first 5 of my mounted yeomen, aka The Brave Companions

From left to right...
Disgraced septon Utt
Psycotic jester Shagwell
Second in command Urswyck the Faithful
Togg Joth, from Ibben
Iggo, a scarred dothraki
Morph

Postby Rick » Sunday 29th January, 2012 4:01 pm

Is Shagwell his nickname?

EDIT: oh, and they look very nice :)
Rick

Postby Morph » Sunday 29th January, 2012 4:29 pm

Ta. Shagwell is actually his name. Since the author is American I don't think he realised...
Morph

Postby Rick » Sunday 29th January, 2012 5:09 pm

Ah, that would make sense. I don't think Americans "snog" either.
Rick

Postby Sam » Monday 30th January, 2012 1:44 pm

These guys are great! Particularly like Shagwell, unmistakable. Inspired choices.
"Unleashing a rancid potpouri of lunacy..."
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby thepaintingmonkey » Monday 30th January, 2012 2:39 pm

Indeed! Can't wait to see them painted.
thepaintingmonkey

Postby Morph » Monday 30th January, 2012 6:24 pm

Thanks. Shagwell is obviously pretty recognisable, and Vargo Hoat will be too I hope, but the others are fairly light on descriptions in the books. Still, a good opportunity for some kitbashing.
Morph

Postby Morph » Friday 2nd March, 2012 9:24 pm

Decided to take some pics. First up are the painted versions of those Brave Companions...

Then the knights errant. In the first book Gregor Clegane is sent raiding the Riverlands. His men don't display livery, and are more of a brutal raiding force than the brave knights of the noble houses. Hence the Empire horses. There's not much description of the various individuals but I like the think the champion here is the cruel torturer known as The Tickler.

As a side note I'd forgotten how annoying knights are to rank up.
Morph

Postby Morph » Friday 2nd March, 2012 9:30 pm

Bit of a blurry shot this, but here's the leader of the army and House Lannister itself, Tywin.

That may not be the horse he ends up with though.

Now for the current unit of bannermen. And yes I realise some of the shield have fallen off. Oops.

So from front rank to back rank and left to right...

Addam Marbarand (standard bearer), Lyle "Strongboar" Crakehall (champion), Knight of House Frey (musician)
House Lydden, House Brax, House Swyft
Kenning of Kayce, House Lefford, House Broom
Morph

Postby Morph » Friday 2nd March, 2012 9:31 pm

And finally the whole army so far (1000 points)...

Morph

Postby thepaintingmonkey » Saturday 3rd March, 2012 6:43 pm

They look great scrowe, looking forward to getting a close up of tywin. was he an all plastic conversion? Also how cheesey and broken is he in game?
thepaintingmonkey

Return to Studio Gribbly