Star Wars Armada

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

Star Wars Armada

Postby Rommel » Saturday 9th August, 2014 5:16 pm

Rebel and Imperial fleets fight for the fate of the galaxy in Star Wars™: Armada, the two-player miniatures game of epic Star Wars space battles!

Massive Star Destroyers fly to battle against Rebel corvettes and frigates. Banks of turbolasers unleash torrential volleys of fire against squadrons of X-wings and TIEs. Engineering teams race to route additional power to failing shields. Laser blasts and explosions flare across the battlefield. Even a single ship can change the tide of battle.

In Star Wars: Armada, you assume the role of fleet admiral, serving with either the Imperial Navy or Rebel Alliance. It’s your job to issue the tactical commands that will decide the course of battle and, perhaps, the fate of the galaxy.

However, battles between capital ships are fought on a massive scale all their own; the more powerful your ships, the harder it is to adjust their actions on the fly. Capital ships can’t easily vary their speeds or execute hairpin turns like the starfighters that buzz around them, so successful admirals must learn to master every aspect of the ships in their fleet and learn how best to implement their strategies well in advance of the initial engagement.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=270&esem=1

A Murder of Ravens - A Raven Guard Blog

40K Armies: Corellian Storm Guard, Raven Guard, Grey Knights
FoW: .78 Sturmdivision, 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich"
Rommel

Re: Star Wars Armada

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Sunday 10th August, 2014 9:15 am

It looks really cool, and I really like the scales of the ships, although I cant imagine they'll be too accurate when they move up to super star destroyers. Its a shame its not out till 2015.

Also, I kind of feel like I need something to replace gothic, with that no longer being supported...
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby Talorian » Sunday 10th August, 2014 1:41 pm

There's already X Wing and Attack Wing if you'd like a replacement for Gothic.

Though I will be tempted by this game :)
Talorian

Postby Mattman » Monday 11th August, 2014 1:02 am

Been saying they should make a game like this for months.
The game looks sweet and a tad more involved than X-wing/Attack Wing, which will make a nice change. Having to place your orders several turns in advance sounds interesting.
Sure they are going to have to sacrifice a degree of scale to make the game work (though hopefully not to the same degree as Attack Wing ;) )

Matt
Mattman

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Monday 11th August, 2014 12:24 pm

Mattman wrote:The game looks sweet and a tad more involved than X-wing/Attack Wing, which will make a nice change. Having to place your orders several turns in advance sounds interesting.
Sure they are going to have to sacrifice a degree of scale to make the game work (though hopefully not to the same degree as Attack Wing ;) )

These are all things that appeal to me. The X-wing/Attack wing mechanics are really cool but don't feel like Gothic, I miss the battleship-ey scale of big ponderous warships shooting each other up. The scale between the capital ships for this looks pretty good already, and I can deal with the fighter sizes as they look a bit more like wave tokens than an attempt to model fighters themselves.
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Return to Other Games