Nissa Monument

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

Nissa Monument

Postby Mattman » Monday 16th November, 2009 11:13 am

I think it was Tom who asked for my deck list from Huddersfield at the weekend.

Maindeck:

3 Eldrazi Monument
3 Ant Queen
4 Elvish Archdruid
4 Elvish Visionary
3 Great Sable Stag
4 Llanowar Elves
2 Master Of The Wild Hunt
4 Nissa's Chosen
2 Noble Hierarch
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
4 Nissa Revane
20 Forest
4 Oran-rief, The Vastwood

Sideboard:
1 Eldrazi Monument
1 Great Sable Stag
1 Master of The Wild Hunt
4 Acidic Slime
4 Windstorm
4 Fog

The main deck is the same as what "The Andersons" played in the SCG 5K last weekend. I did try out a few variations (no hierarchs, no masters, more monuments, more stags, more masters etc) but in the end came back to the stock deck. I changed the sideboard after reading and listening to some of their discussions to tried and make it more consistant. The Windstorms were amazing and the extra Stag and Monument helped. The Slimes were there for removal and dealing with slow 4C/5C control decks and the Fogs were for the alpha strike turns from fast red decks. Didn't really use the Slimes and Fogs at all since I faced Jund, Jund, Vamps, WG, Vamps, Vamps. Possibly should have brought in the Fogs against the Vamps but it would have been a struggle bringing in 9 cards against them. The thing I did miss in some of the games was Pithing Needle, it would have helped me deal with Elspeth in the GW match and would have saved my Planeswalkers from Hexmages in the Vamp matches.

I really like the deck, it is fun and it is quite resilient, when I first saw Nissa I thought she would turn out good. I also think you won't see it played much in tournaments (will see what happens at Worlds next weekend) as so many players are turned off by the idea of playing big green stuff as they think it is to noobish, so the likelihood of running into dedicated hate should be slim.

I am giving some serious thought to going into GW so I have access to a bit of spot removal to deal with flyers if I don't see Windstorm.

Matt
Mattman

Re: Nissa Monument

Postby Arven » Thursday 19th November, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks for sharing!

Only 2 Master of the Wild Hunt MD.. When do you bring in the third?

Maybe the Pithing Needles could be squeezed in between the Fogs and Slimes if the metagame remains similar to how we saw it at Huddersfield?
Red is known for fire and gets a flaming character. Blue is known for trickery and gets the small sneaky character. Black is known for greed and deception and gets the, uh, woman. *snicker*
Arven

Postby Mattman » Thursday 19th November, 2009 10:54 am

The Masters seem to be only there as an alternative 4 drop and I think I only played one the entire tournament, getting out Nissa or Garruk was always way better. The extra one is there against heavy removal or the mirror match to give you one more permanent that pumps out creatures.

If you aren't expecting to many red decks then the fogs could easily be switched to Needles.
If the deck stays as is, then I think I will be dropping the 3rd Master, a Fog and maybe a Slime for 3 Needles. I am also thinking that the Slimes would be better as Mold Shambler. Being able to kill Planeswalkers is very useful and the mana ramping of the deck should easily get you up to the 6 you need.

I am definitely thinking about taking this down the white route with Path and Elspeth. You get more sideboard options and Elspeth is psuedo Nissa 5-8 and Monument 5-8.

Matt
Mattman

Postby Arven » Monday 23rd November, 2009 12:02 am

I've been messing around with this:

10 Forest
4 Oran-Reif
4 Sunpetal Grove
3 Graypelt Refuge
1 Plains

4 Llanowar Elves
2 Noble Hierarch
4 Elvish Visionary
4 Nissa's Chosen
4 Elvish Archdruid
2 Great Sable Stag
2 Master of the Wild Hunt
2 Ant Queen

4 Nissa Revane
3 Garruk Wildspeaker
3 Eldrazi Monument
4 Path to Exile

SB
2 Great Sable Stag
4 Celestial Purge
3 Pithing Needle
3 Fog
3 Mold Shambler

I don't think I have enough white sources to really support Elspeth, and she doesn't combo with Oran-Reif. I'd probably consider Ajani G before Elspeth in this deck.

Mold Shamblers have been really useful and 6 mana hasn't been a big issue.

The MD paths are great at removing that random baneslayer or whatever before you make the kill. They were also useful against Iona in the Summoner's Trap deck.

Great Sable Stag seems to be a Trained Armodon too often. Especially after Vampires didn't show at Worlds. Maybe I'll try the deck out with none MD and add back an Ant Queen and a Master of the Wild Hunt?
Red is known for fire and gets a flaming character. Blue is known for trickery and gets the small sneaky character. Black is known for greed and deception and gets the, uh, woman. *snicker*
Arven

Postby woodnoggin » Monday 23rd November, 2009 5:12 pm

Off topic, do you guys play Magic at the Union any more? I haven't seen you round for weeks.
woodnoggin

Postby Arven » Tuesday 24th November, 2009 12:25 pm

We tend to play EDH or cube draft at my house nowadays (since Rooty and Mark also live here) as it's far more convenient. And not many other people were turning up for magic at society sessions last I heard.
Arven

Return to Other Games