I'm Batman! (The Miniature Game)

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

I'm Batman! (The Miniature Game)

Postby Mattman » Friday 17th January, 2014 6:13 pm

There was a bit of discussion about the new Batman miniature game and the very nice looking models from Knight Models the other day. So I though I would throw this out to everybody.

The website is here:

http://www.knightmodels.com/index.php/shop/show/viewcategory/batman-miniature-game/IdCat_product/31

(Be careful when checking out the KM site as they seemed to be having a problem with a virus a few days ago, or so my Anti-Virus was telling me, but they seem to have cleared things up now, as I am not getting any warnings today).

They also have a forum here:

http://www.batmanminiaturegame.com/

The rules are free along with all the stats for all the characters which can be downloaded off the item product page in the store (though I have downloaded everything so far, if people want copies).

The rules are very much in a playtest stage after being translated, so they are welcoming all comments regarding balance and wording before they commit to printing a hard copy of the rules.
Since the rules are there, I am tempted to give them a whirl over the next few months with some proxy models if anyone else fancies it?

From my brief scan of the rules:
Typical game is on a 3ft by 3ft board with random scenarios. All involve an amount of placed objectives.
Victory points awarded for KO and injuring characters. Scenarios give additional VPs based on additional effects. Objectives give VPs and some also give additional immediate in game bonuses.
Initiative is based around players each putting a number of their own tokens/coloured dice etc into a bag and randomly selecting and removing one each turn. So if you lose the initiative in the first few rounds, you are more likely to get it later since you will have more tokens left.
The game is always played at night, so there is limited LoS and items such as night vision, torches and street lights play an important role.
Characters have a number of action points they can spend each turn on moving, attacking, defending and special actions.
Seems to be a relatively simple D6 based system. Depending on skills you can do different moves in close combat. Weapons do different amounts of damage and type. Cover saves are present.

Currently there are 8 different affiliations to choose from. The Batman affiliation covers all the good guys (and there is quite a few to choose from). The rest represent the bad guys (Penguin, Bane, Two Face, Poison Ivy, League of Shadows, Joker and Black Mask), not all have models yet.
Band selection is quite interesting and is based around a combination of rank, reputation and money.
Characters are ranked as either Leader, Sidekick, Henchmen or Free Agent. Henchmen are your basic grunts with few skills and stats. Bands can have as many Henchmen as they like (within cost and a few select additional rules). Number of Free Agents you can have depends on the game size. Free agents will fight with multiple affiliations, though some have restrictions on people they hate and won't join. They include Catwoman, Deathstroke, Riddler, Killer Croc and more.
Your main characters will be either Leaders or Sidekicks. If you choose a Leader ranked character, then he is in charge of the band, you can then choose a Sidekick to join. If you don't have a Leader ranked character, then a Sidekick can be chosen as the band leader, you can then have another Sidekick join the band.
It can make for some interesting combinations, especially in the Batman team. You can obviously have Batman leading supported by Robin or Gordon or Green Arrow etc, along with a selection of SWAT or cops. Or you can mix things up and have Gordon leading with Nightwing as a Sidekick, or Green Arrow leading with Robin in tow.
As well as that, there are different versions of some characters based on different media interpretations, so Batman can be either the Frank Miller version or the version from the Arkham City game or even the one from the recent Dark Knight Trilogy. Joker can be either from Arkham City or the Heath Ledger version.

So anyone else interested in trying this out?

Matt
Mattman

Re: I'm Batman! (The Miniature Game)

Postby Morph » Friday 17th January, 2014 6:59 pm

I am totally on board with this.

I'll point out that Wayland Games stock it...
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/knight-mo ... _1557.html

I want to get some of those models even if I never play the game.
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby Talorian » Friday 17th January, 2014 7:34 pm

I'll play.

Wargames emporium have said they will stock the models if there is the interest.
Talorian

Postby Mattman » Friday 17th January, 2014 7:42 pm

When I checked out Wayland, I didn't think the prices were that bad.
I want to put together a band with Joker, Harley and the Riddler called The Entertainers :D
Mattman

Postby Morph » Sunday 19th January, 2014 1:28 pm

I was just browsing the wayland games range and next thing I knew I'd ordered Batman, Robin, Mr Freeze and Two-Face's crew. :D
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby IronWithin » Sunday 19th January, 2014 2:57 pm

I'd be interested.
“From Iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so."
http://theunbreakablelitany.blogspot.co.uk/
IronWithin

Postby Mattman » Monday 20th January, 2014 2:12 am

Might have to add a few models to next months shopping list.
Mattman

Postby BlackCat » Thursday 23rd January, 2014 8:23 pm

I want to play too! :D
BlackCat

Postby Mattman » Thursday 6th February, 2014 10:49 am

Some new characters have been released. This month we get to see Arkham Origins versions of Deadshot and Copperhead, along with a Titan enhanced henchman for the Joker crew. Pictures can be found here:

http://www.batmanminiaturegame.com/forums/english/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=711&sid=4ce77836da5f147ea935b5aefa5dd329

There are also rumours appearing about a Marvel version of the game. I suspect because of the power level of the super hero's they are unlikely to be compatible with the batman game (the likes of Joker and Penguin and their henchmen are unlikely to last long against Professor X, Jean Grey, Iron Man and Wolverine), but since they are producing models for supes for both Marvel and DC, I could see a "next level" type of game that moves away from the stealth, loot and objective based system of Batman and allows the super hero's from both universes to clash (think Heroclix but with better models, better rules and no dial :D ).

Matt
Mattman

Postby BlackCat » Thursday 6th February, 2014 9:01 pm

Ordered some models ^_^

(Riddler, Poison Ivy + prisoners)

Though REALLY I want the x-men, that will be awesome (except we'll all want to be Xavier).
BlackCat

Postby Talorian » Thursday 6th February, 2014 9:04 pm

Are you putting your orders through Emporium?

They sent an order in the other day for the stuff I want, stuff for John and stuff for the shop.
Talorian

Postby Mattman » Friday 7th February, 2014 2:28 am

Are you working this Saturday Victoria?
Was going to pop in to WGE before heading to the union, so might put an order in then. Or depending on what has been ordered for the shop, I might reserve some bits.

Matt
Mattman

Postby Sam » Friday 7th February, 2014 12:27 pm

BlackCat wrote: Though REALLY I want the x-men, that will be awesome (except we'll all want to be Xavier).

Magneto!! Let the McKellen impressions commence!
:lol:
"Unleashing a rancid potpouri of lunacy..."
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby BlackCat » Friday 7th February, 2014 2:37 pm

Mattman wrote:Are you working this Saturday Victoria?
Was going to pop in to WGE before heading to the union, so might put an order in then. Or depending on what has been ordered for the shop, I might reserve some bits.

Matt

I am working (10.30-3.30)! I have no idea what they have ordered, but I'm sure we can sort something out.

I ordered mine off EBay...Whoops (Didn't realise they'd ordered proper stock like Ian's mentioned, I thought they were just considering it).

Sam wrote:
BlackCat wrote: Though REALLY I want the x-men, that will be awesome (except we'll all want to be Xavier).

Magneto!! Let the McKellen impressions commence!
:lol:

Its ON Sam- Skull caps and Magneto hats compulsary.
BlackCat

Postby Talorian » Friday 7th February, 2014 4:34 pm

Erik has said they've ordered the full range including the Watchmen stuff.

He's had confirmation that it's been dispatched and he is hoping that it'll arrive next week.
Talorian

Postby seriesofbadjokes » Friday 7th February, 2014 4:43 pm

Watchmen you say......count me in :mrgreen:
"Home, home on LaGrange: Where the space debris always collects: We possess, so it seems, two of Man's greatest dreams: Solar power and zero-gee sex."
seriesofbadjokes

Postby BlackCat » Friday 7th February, 2014 6:17 pm

seriesofbadjokes wrote:Watchmen you say......count me in :mrgreen:

If the game is as dark as the novel, 40k is about to get a lesson in grimdark ;)
BlackCat

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Friday 7th February, 2014 6:28 pm

Dr Manhattan is totally OP...
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby Talorian » Friday 7th February, 2014 7:03 pm

There's no rules currently for the Watchmen, just models and even then it's not the full range.
Talorian

Postby Mattman » Saturday 8th February, 2014 1:43 am

They have actually posted rules for the 3 watchmen characters, only problem is you can only play them, no free agents, no unaffiliated henchmen, nothing, so their options are extremely limited.
Mattman

Next

Return to Other Games