Magic - Budget Commander decks

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

Magic - Budget Commander decks

Postby Morph » Monday 18th November, 2013 6:33 pm

We were discussing in the bar the other day how much it would cost if you wanted to start playing commander magic. The suggestion was £50 for a decent fun deck, but I thought I could do better. So here we are...

Vorel of the Hull Clade 0.75
Dragon Blood 0.35
Evolution Vat 0.49
Puppet Strings 0.35
Simic Cluestone 0.1
Simic Signet 0.25
Swiftfoot Boots 0.75
Wayfarer's Bauble 0.25
Adaptive Snapjaw 0.1
Assault Zeppelid 0.15
Crowned Ceratok 0.39
Cytospawn Shambler 0.15
Elusive Krasis 0.75
Experiment Kraj 1.49
Fangreen Firstborn 0.49
Fathom Mage 0.49
Horizon Chimera 0.35
Jhessian Infiltrator 0.25
Jungle Barrier 0.35
Krosan Tusker 0.25
Mindless Automaton 0.47
Mnemonic Wall 0.1
Murkfiend Liege 3.99
Nimbus Swimmer 0.35
Pentavus 0.49
Phantom Nantuko 0.99
Plated Slagwurm 0.79
Renegade Krasis 0.49
Shambleshark 0.25
Simic Fluxmage 0.2
Simic Guildmage 0.35
Simic Manipulator 0.99
Sporeback Troll 0.15
Thrummingbird 0.35
Triskelion 0.4
Trygon Predator 1.99
Vigean Graftmage 0.19
Vigean Hydropon 0.1
Viridian Joiner 0.15
Wood Elves 0.25
Zameck Guildmage 0.49
Bred for the Hunt 0.49
Coastal Piracy 0.49
Curiosity 0.25
Curse of Predation 0.75
Favor of the Overbeing 0.35
Honden of Life's Web 0.35
Honden of Seeing Winds 0.49
Ordeal of Nylea 0.35
Ordeal of Thassa 0.35
Rite of Passage 0.49
Bioshift 0.25
Capsize 0.95
Repulse 0.25
Simic Charm 0.99
Slice in Twain 0.19
Voyage's End 0.25
Concentrate 0.35
Creeping Mold 0.25
Explosive Vegetation 0.99
Harrow 0.25
Rampant Growth 0.25
Urban Evolution 0.49
Evolving Wilds 0.25
Llanowar Reborn 0.99
Novijen, Heart of Progress 0.25
Simic Guildgate 0.25
Terramorphoc Expanse 0.35
17 x forests
15 x islands

Total = £33.94 from http://www.Manaleak.com
(+P&P, assuming basic lands will be free from your friends, also you might want to buy card sleeves)

This green-blue deck is all about the Simic Combine - crazy scientists/biomancers who love creating and improving lifeforms. The deck does this by the use of +1/+1 counters on its creatures. It makes them and moves them around, letting you craft giant monsters and then hit the opponent with them.

The commander is Vorel of the Hull Clade, he's cheap and taps to double the counters on a permanent - in this deck that means often doubling the power/toughness of your dudes. The deck is fairly creature focussed as a result, and uses the two Simic keywords of evolve (when you play a bigger creature, the evolve creature gets a +1/+1 counter) and graft (the creature starts with +1/+1 counters and you can move them onto new creatures you play) as well as creatures to put those counters on - either because they are good on the offense (flying/unblockable/trample) or they have other ways to use them.

There are some ways to untap Vorel and use his ability more than once a turn, and some other ways to get the +1/+1 counters. Blue adds card draw and bouncing things back to their owner's hands. Green adds mana acceleration and artifact/enchantment destruction.

Overall it looks like a good mix of tricks but also it's primarily a deck about attacking the opponents... so hopefully enjoyable to play with and against (so not like the annoying decks I usually play. :roll:).

Could it be better? Almost certainly, this was made up mostly as I went along and I only have a limited knowledge of cards. I cut a few for budget reasons (Doubling Season would make the deck insane but is £20!). And there are probably a load of broken tricks you can do with Vorel but I was going for fun here. The most expensive card by far is Murkfiend Liege at £3.99 but he is very very good. Still, he's only one card amongst many so could be replaced if you want to shave off any more money.
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Re: Magic - Budget Commander decks

Postby Tikal » Tuesday 19th November, 2013 5:27 am

Primal Vigor subs in for doubling season out of Power Hungry commander deck - prob about £5

That's right I know magic cards

Not that well though so to save me having to look do you play with all cards legal as per the official listings?
What can you do against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?
Tikal

Postby Mattman » Tuesday 19th November, 2013 4:08 pm

All sets are legal in Commander apart from a small banned list:

http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php

I know there is a small core of people (and one who streams on Twitch) that like to build Commander decks for 10 tickets or less.
Mattman

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Tuesday 19th November, 2013 8:01 pm

will I have to buy anything else? I don't want this to become a habit like every other game I start...
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby Morph » Tuesday 19th November, 2013 8:14 pm

You don't have to buy anything else. But you will.

To be honest you might be better off borrowing a deck and seeing if you like the game first.
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby Mattman » Tuesday 19th November, 2013 10:53 pm

Commander is good for casual players as you can start with a basic deck and gradually add to it. Given that there are thousands of cards to choose from, there are plenty of options available. And unlike other MTG constructed formats, none of the cards become illegal to play (unless something becomes to busted and has to be banned) and valuable cards hold their value.
Ideally, the best place to start is with one of the commander precons if you can still find them. They are well constructed, with a variety of themes and contain plenty of good cards.
Mattman

Postby BlackCat » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 4:37 pm

FYI: Doubling Season goes for £10 on manaleak (I still rate that too expensive, but makes it more attainable than a £20 price tag).

I think this deck looks way funner than the commander decks just released ^_^
BlackCat

Postby Mattman » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 4:45 pm

For anyone looking for a good starter deck, several of the recently released Commander decks are available on eBay.
Power Hungry (BRG), Evasive Manoeuvres (GWB) and Nature of the Beast (RGW) can be had for between £26-£30 from Buy It Nows (potentially less from an auction). Eternal Bargain (WUB) and Mind Seize (UBR) are somewhat more expensive due to having a few valuable cards in them (approximately £40 and £60 each respectively).
You can also still get hold of sets of all 5 for between £135-£150.

Matt
Mattman

Postby Mattman » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 4:58 pm

Morph wrote:Could it be better? Almost certainly, this was made up mostly as I went along and I only have a limited knowledge of cards. I cut a few for budget reasons (Doubling Season would make the deck insane but is £20!). And there are probably a load of broken tricks you can do with Vorel but I was going for fun here. The most expensive card by far is Murkfiend Liege at £3.99 but he is very very good. Still, he's only one card amongst many so could be replaced if you want to shave off any more money.

Quest for Renewal does a good Murkfiend impression (£2 a set of 4 on eBay). So does Prophet of Kruphix (£2 on eBay). The original version "Awakening", can also be had for a couple of quid.
Mattman

Postby Morph » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 5:50 pm

I actually disagree on the commander decks for newcomers. They have their uses, but playing one of them straight out the box with its lack of focus and some odd card choices does not seem like fun to me, compared to a deck built round a theme and with better card interactions. You have to do a fair amount of work to the commander decks, which just increases cost. The deck I gave above is just an example of course, to show a commander deck can be done relatively cheaply - and cheaper still if you are willing to shop around on ebay it seems.
Morph

Postby Mattman » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 6:24 pm

Morph wrote:I actually disagree on the commander decks for newcomers. They have their uses, but playing one of them straight out the box with its lack of focus and some odd card choices does not seem like fun to me, compared to a deck built round a theme and with better card interactions. You have to do a fair amount of work to the commander decks, which just increases cost. The deck I gave above is just an example of course, to show a commander deck can be done relatively cheaply - and cheaper still if you are willing to shop around on ebay it seems.

I have to disagree with your disagreement ;)
How does a newcomer know what theme they want to play? There are hundreds of mechanics and styles of decks in magic which can be daunting for a new player to figure out.
The Commander decks are definitely not tuned, but they have all the cards they need to play, all in one deck, no need to shop around or order from multiple vendors.
They give the player an idea of how some of the cards interact with one another, they can then take that deck and modify it how ever they wish.
Sure someone can build a deck for them, but that doesn't mean they will like that style of deck and if it has a fixed theme then there is little room for them to innovate and modify. With the commander decks, if you choose to take the deck in one direction and find it isn't for you, you have the cards to be able to step back and try one of the other themes.
Mattman

Postby Morph » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 6:40 pm

I see your point. I still think the main way to start is borrow decks though, and see how you want to go from there.
Morph

Postby BlackCat » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 8:23 pm

I think the commander decks (at least the two I bought) are too slow to be fun. They do have lots of great cards, so are very good value but I find them a bit boring.

But then again, I'm in the middle of making a squirrel themed deck- so perhaps they just don't suit my silly style of commander :)
BlackCat

Postby Talorian » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 10:32 pm

You and your Squirrels!

I do hope you're planning on rampant growing your Squirrels.....err I mean I know nothing about Magic ;)
Talorian

Postby BlackCat » Wednesday 20th November, 2013 10:40 pm

Talorian wrote:I do hope you're planning on rampant growing your Squirrels.....err I mean I know nothing about Magic ;)

You read my mind!

This is my sort of squirrel:
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... seid=30549
BlackCat

Postby Mattman » Thursday 21st November, 2013 1:11 am

Squirrels! Been there, done that ;) One of my most favourite cards is Deranged Hermit :D
Will have to remember to bring my squirrel deck next time. It isn't a commander deck, just a fun casual 60 card deck.
Mattman

Postby Mattman » Thursday 21st November, 2013 1:14 am

BlackCat wrote:I think the commander decks (at least the two I bought) are too slow to be fun. They do have lots of great cards, so are very good value but I find them a bit boring.

Maybe, but they give you a good starting point and part of the fun of commander is finding new cards to improve your decks.
Mattman

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Friday 22nd November, 2013 10:58 am

This is all getting a bit too controversial for me. Maybe I'll just stick to my chaos warriors...
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Return to Other Games