Netrunner

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

Netrunner

Postby BlackCat » Friday 14th June, 2013 12:24 pm

Any interest? Anyone already play it?

I like the idea of a deck building game that will fit with my NHS bursary budget, but am a bit confused by the 'living card game' concept, presumably new releases act more like expansions to the core game (rather than making older cards out of date)?
BlackCat

Re: Netrunner

Postby Talorian » Friday 14th June, 2013 3:02 pm

Mr Drindell ;) has a copy. I've played the original and it was a decent enough game, not played the revamp though I have been told that its pretty close to the original.

Living card games differ from collectible card games in that you know what you are getting in each expansion pack. It's not random like collectible booster packs are. Expansions could cause some original cards to be less useful or become more useful, just depends what you do with them.
Talorian

Postby BlackCat » Friday 14th June, 2013 3:57 pm

Awesome! Mr Frindle- It would be awesome if next time your about, I could play netrunner with you :)

WGE had a copy, but since its £30, (+ the cost of sleeves), I'd rather have a go before buying a copy.

Unless anyone can recommend a better living card game?
I miss how satisfying building magic decks was!
BlackCat

Postby Mattman » Friday 14th June, 2013 4:13 pm

Yep I have a copy, plus several of the expansion packs as well. Love the game, used to play the original as well. I like the whole cyberpunk setting.
The LCG format is very good for people who want a cheap secondary game to play as it doesn't take much to get the cards and if you are spending large amounts of money on Warhammer or magic then you might not have much spare cash.
Will make sure the next time I come over I stick my decks in the car.
Mattman

Postby BlackCat » Friday 14th June, 2013 4:44 pm

Awesome!

I like the cyberpunk concept too- and I figure since it's (relatively) new, it shouldn't be too hard to catch up.

Anyone else have a card building erge, and fancy giving it a go? A games only as good as it's player base, after all!
BlackCat

Postby Talorian » Friday 14th June, 2013 4:53 pm

I was thinking about getting back into the AGoT LCG, but the sheer number of expansions that have come out since I stopped playing has put me off.

I'll play Netrunner, don't think I'll invest in it though.
Talorian

Postby BlackCat » Friday 14th June, 2013 5:01 pm

Talorian wrote:I was thinking about getting back into the AGoT LCG, but the sheer number of expansions that have come out since I stopped playing has put me off.

Yeah, ideally I'd play the GoT one, but I also thought it would cost a to much to catch up. Plus- everyone would want to be the Lanisters, right? :P
BlackCat

Postby Morph » Friday 14th June, 2013 5:39 pm

Go Lannisters!

There's also Warhammer Invasion and Call of Cthulhu but these have been going a long time now so yeah (like GoT) you'd feel like all you're doing is catching up. Also they released a Star Wars LCG more recently, though in general Netrunner is getting much better reviews.

The thing that most puts me off is that Netrunner (and Star Wars for that matter) is that the games are only 2 players and personally I like the multi player card games. Also though they may be cheaper than playing 40k they're not exactly cheap, if you buy everything that comes out in a year you're probably paying about £200. But on the other hand the constant influx of new cards each month does keep the game fresh.

I will do a shout out for the Lord of the Rings LCG, which is a different thing because it's multiplayer and co-operative (which does tend to mean one person buys all the cards). Might not be what you're looking for but I mention it because it's just so good. :D
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby Talorian » Friday 14th June, 2013 6:38 pm

BlackCat wrote:
Talorian wrote:I was thinking about getting back into the AGoT LCG, but the sheer number of expansions that have come out since I stopped playing has put me off.

Yeah, ideally I'd play the GoT one, but I also thought it would cost a to much to catch up. Plus- everyone would want to be the Lanisters, right? :P

Starks all the way!
Talorian

Postby BlackCat » Friday 14th June, 2013 6:52 pm

Humm, I'd just presumed it was multi-player...
Ideally I'd want a card game thats multi-player, but if i can't fin box has the bonus of being a self contained game (Matt, that's is right isn't it?)...

I've never looked into the Lord of the rings one, is it Fantasy Flight too? Scrowe- Do you already own stuff for it? I do love being Dwarves ^_^

Can I declare for The Nights Watch?
BlackCat

Postby Mattman » Friday 14th June, 2013 8:10 pm

BlackCat wrote:Humm, I'd just presumed it was multi-player...
Ideally I'd want a card game thats multi-player, but if i can't fin box has the bonus of being a self contained game (Matt, that's is right isn't it?)

Yep. All the starter sets that FFG do for their LCGs have multiple decks. The Netrunner set has enough cards to build a corp and runner deck in either of the 3 runner or 4 corp identities.
Netrunner has always been a 2 player game, the asymmetric approach is what makes it a cool game.
If you really want a multiplayer game then LotR is most probably the easiest to get into.
Mattman

Postby BlackCat » Saturday 15th June, 2013 3:00 pm

Cool, well I guess the sensible approach would be to try both games and then invest in the one I enjoy most.

I had a quick look into the LoTR one, and it looks fun (I like the idea of scenerios), though the setting means no bill the pony (my favourite character).
BlackCat

Postby Mattman » Wednesday 17th July, 2013 11:59 am

For those that are looking for a bit of multiplayer LCG action, apparently the upcoming premium box set for the new Star Wars LCG will include multiplayer rules for the game :) :)
Not entirely sure how that is going to work with only two factions in the game :?

Matt
Mattman

Postby davidmn » Tuesday 23rd July, 2013 5:12 pm

I'll be rejoining the society this September and I'll happily play Netrunner with people, I picked up the core box yesterday so hopefully by the time we start up I'll have a better grasp on the rules.
davidmn

Return to Other Games