GW fatigue

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

Re: GW fatigue

Postby IronWithin » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 2:14 pm

A proper set of Killteam rules using something akin to the Necromunda ruleset would be ace. Or even a Killteam that works in 40k 6th ed that felt more than a little game of 40k
“From Iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so."
http://theunbreakablelitany.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
IronWithin
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Saturday 18th February, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 2:47 pm

we played an effective kill team game using Necromunda rules before, the progression rules were a killer, I had a marine scout force which became brutal very very quickly.

Factoring in some things into Kill team is also very hard, some things are really tough to face off against in Kill Team type skirmish games and finding the balance is always the problem.

Which is why I think Confrontation died, it wasn't down to Rackham going to a bigger scale of game, we'd pretty much all stopped playing by then, it was because some things were completely unbalanced in the smaller scale of game and they then caused problems.
User avatar
Talorian
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wednesday 1st July, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby noodle » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 3:04 pm

I think Scrowe is going to look at some ideas on "Killomunda" - which ought to be tweaking kill team and necromunda to get a decent hybrid :D
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle
 
Posts: 1165
Joined: Tuesday 30th June, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Rick » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 3:23 pm

In kill team I've noticed in the past that mobile units tend to be disproportionately powerful compared with standard infantry. They also often fit will into kill team missions fluffwise though (stealth suites, ravenwing...)

This is probably less of an issue in 6th though as infantry can now move and shoot at full effect so their own mobility is greatly improved.
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thursday 2nd July, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Mattman » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 3:25 pm

Morph wrote:Of course what I really want to play is...
http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/batman-arkham-city-miniatures-game/cat_1557.html
...but it's probably terrible.


Oh, forgot about the new Batman miniature game, wonder if the rules are available anywhere.

There was a company that was licensed to make 28-32mm star wars miniatures, but they have had the licence pulled recently, so I am wondering if there is a new Star Wars game on the horizon :)


noodle wrote:I agree with rick we need to start using the minor games thread more.


Maybe rather than just having a single thread to hold everything, people should just post in the Other Games section when they are looking to have a game or something. Just give your post a title like "Looking for games of Uncharted Seas on 23rd Feb" or even create another section of the forum where people can just post requests for games.


Morph wrote:The other thing that occurs to me is that a cheap option may be to find new rules for a game we already have minis for, e.g. some sort of fantasy rule system that can use the Warhammer stuff you've got. Not sure what though... there's Kings of War from Mantic which is like a clean and easy version of Warhammer, there must be others.

Or you could write them yourself.


I have been thinking about a fantasy skirmish game that can play with any miniatures for a while know and have a few ideas running through my head. Maybe it is time to put pen to paper, or finger to keyboard.


noodle wrote:I think Scrowe is going to look at some ideas on "Killomunda" - which ought to be tweaking kill team and necromunda to get a decent hybrid :D


If you are going to use the Necromunda ruleset, then have a look at:

http://www.yakromunda.com/index.php?page=intro

It is the home of the fan based update to the rules (like what has been done for Bloodbowl, Epic etc). All the rules are free to download, you just have to sign up and they seem to have fixed quite a few of the issues (overwatch, swords etc).

Matt
User avatar
Mattman
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Monday 29th June, 2009 8:56 am

Re: GW fatigue

Postby IronWithin » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 4:13 pm

I always liked the older style Killteam with the specialist kill team versus many times their number of grunts from the enemy army. It was somewhat random but really fun. If we could move towards something like that I would be happy. Essentially a 200 point kill team (using 6th points costs) against 1000 points of the enemy but they have to avoid alerting them.
“From Iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so."
http://theunbreakablelitany.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
IronWithin
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Saturday 18th February, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 4:15 pm

Rick wrote:In kill team I've noticed in the past that mobile units tend to be disproportionately powerful compared with standard infantry. They also often fit will into kill team missions fluffwise though (stealth suites, ravenwing...)


I worry about Sofas and chairs that are sneaking throughout the 40k universe.
User avatar
Talorian
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wednesday 1st July, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby IronWithin » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 7:40 pm

Rick: maybe it's a case of mission? It's not good enough to just kill the enemy you have to achieve a specific goal; even if Tau have Stealth suits doesn't matter if the opponent swarms the objective with bodies so they cannot get through?

EDIT: Found the old 4th Ed rules I was on about:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/27333638/Kill-Team-Part1
http://www.scribd.com/doc/48935606/Kill-Team-Part2
“From Iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so."
http://theunbreakablelitany.blogspot.co.uk/
User avatar
IronWithin
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Saturday 18th February, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Morph » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 8:02 pm

BlackCat wrote:A while back (when I was having a fantasy game setting itch), I bought the 'Song of Blades and Glory' rule pack. It looks pretty fun actually and it'd be very happy if at some point someone fancies playing it ^_^


Song of Blades and Heroes you mean but yes it does seem to be getting a lot of praise (so much so I got myself a copy of the rules). Maybe a bit simple for some, but it looks quick and easy and you can use practically any models in your collection. If you want I can bring a handful of minis this weekend and try it out?
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
User avatar
Morph
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Monday 29th June, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby BlackCat » Tuesday 19th February, 2013 8:29 pm

Morph wrote:
BlackCat wrote:A while back (when I was having a fantasy game setting itch), I bought the 'Song of Blades and Glory' rule pack. It looks pretty fun actually and it'd be very happy if at some point someone fancies playing it


Song of Blades and Heroes you mean but yes it does seem to be getting a lot of praise (so much so I got myself a copy of the rules). Maybe a bit simple for some, but it looks quick and easy and you can use practically any models in your collection. If you want I can bring a handful of minis this weekend and try it out?


Haha, whoops! Yes, That's the one!

I'm not sure if I'll be around this Saturday (I seem to have under-estimated my ability to write essays at speed), but if I am, I'd be up for trying it out.
Finally, we might have a use for those whippy sticks GW seem so found of!

I'll let you know closer to the time :D
User avatar
BlackCat
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wednesday 2nd May, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby BlackCat » Thursday 21st February, 2013 12:40 pm

Essays are boring...

I'll be wargaming on Saturday, though I have to head home ~4 and I kinda want to try some boardgames and squeeze in a 40k game...

'Song of Blades and Heroes' the following week (2nd March)?
User avatar
BlackCat
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wednesday 2nd May, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Talorian » Thursday 21st February, 2013 1:36 pm

BlackCat wrote:'Song of Blades and Heroes' the following week (2nd March)?


If it does something to balance the inherent problems that we face by playing Warhammer Fantasy, then I'll be up for it. I'm always looking for different things to stop me getting bored and going out and buying yet another army. I may as well use one of the 15 I have in the garage ;)
User avatar
Talorian
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wednesday 1st July, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Morph » Thursday 21st February, 2013 6:35 pm

Talorian wrote:
BlackCat wrote:'Song of Blades and Heroes' the following week (2nd March)?


If it does something to balance the inherent problems that we face by playing Warhammer Fantasy, then I'll be up for it. I'm always looking for different things to stop me getting bored and going out and buying yet another army. I may as well use one of the 15 I have in the garage ;)


SoB&H is a skirmish game - around 10 models a side, there are rules for bigger games where models group into small units, but nothing the size of warhammer. What I'm liking is that the rules are fairly simple (maybe around Uncharted Seas level for those who are worried about learning a new set of rules) and very customisable. There are stats for lots of fantasy models, and rules for how to make your own, so you can play with whatever characterful models you like. Would be nice to use those models that I bought because they looked cool but never finished the army.


If you are looking for an alternative to Warhammer FB, my suggestion is Mantic's Kings of War - mostly because the rules are free online. It looks like a streamlined version of Warhammer, with some good ideas for game balance (I like that units are bought in set sizes and shapes) though only playing would prove if it was any good. It does suffer from Alessio Calvatore's obsession with games where you don't get to do anything in your opponent's turn (even roll dice) so that you can use chess clocks if you want.
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
User avatar
Morph
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Monday 29th June, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Mattman » Friday 22nd February, 2013 11:00 am

Morph wrote:
SoB&H is a skirmish game - around 10 models a side, there are rules for bigger games where models group into small units, but nothing the size of warhammer. What I'm liking is that the rules are fairly simple (maybe around Uncharted Seas level for those who are worried about learning a new set of rules) and very customisable. There are stats for lots of fantasy models, and rules for how to make your own, so you can play with whatever characterful models you like. Would be nice to use those models that I bought because they looked cool but never finished the army.



Sounds interesting, may have to give it a look. Do you have to pay for it, or are the rules free?

I was thinking of a game that was part WFRP 1/2 for character building, part old school Realms of Chaos for warbands, part Necromunda for rules, part PVP MMORPG/league of legends/DOTA for scenario play.
Maybe at some point I will jot down some ideas/rules, I will add it to the ever expanding list of things I want to do :?

Matt
User avatar
Mattman
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Monday 29th June, 2009 8:56 am

Re: GW fatigue

Postby woodnoggin » Friday 22nd February, 2013 1:19 pm

Mattman wrote:Aren't most game dice dependant?


:shock:
You must be using a different definition of game to me!

Morph wrote:The other thing that occurs to me is that a cheap option may be to find new rules for a game we already have minis for, e.g. some sort of fantasy rule system that can use the Warhammer stuff you've got. Not sure what though... there's Kings of War from Mantic which is like a clean and easy version of Warhammer, there must be others.


Could now be the time to introduce DBA/Hordes of the Things? ;)

Noodle wrote:Now if there was a game of thrones Wargame, I'd be all over that ;)


Have you considered Battles of Westeros?
woodnoggin
 
Posts: 136
Joined: Monday 29th June, 2009 11:47 am

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Rick » Friday 22nd February, 2013 1:53 pm

woodnoggin wrote:Could now be the time to introduce DBA/Hordes of the Things?


No.
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Thursday 2nd July, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby BlackCat » Sunday 24th February, 2013 1:53 pm

Matt wrote:
Sounds interesting, may have to give it a look. Do you have to pay for it, or are the rules free?



You have to pay, but its super cheap (well, compared to GW prices). I got the kindle version:
http://www.amazon.com/Blades-Heroes-Revised-Edition-ebook/dp/B009AWZBEE

I'm sure you can download it 'dubiously' too though.

Scrowe, up for trying it out on Saturday? I'm not sure what fantasy models I have in Sheffield at the moment, so I might have to beg/borrow.

Also, how do people rate AI?

I like the idea of 40k related games that aren't 40k, but BFG hurt my head too much, and converting my epic army to NETepic has created a mental block (though if anyone would like to sit down with me and help me do it, that'd be swell)!

Someone, organise a GORKAMORKA campaign ^_^!
User avatar
BlackCat
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wednesday 2nd May, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Talorian » Sunday 24th February, 2013 3:58 pm

I can help you write an army or you can talk to Dave who has already worked out the Ork army list
User avatar
Talorian
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wednesday 1st July, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Morph » Sunday 24th February, 2013 9:06 pm

BlackCat wrote:Scrowe, up for trying it out on Saturday? I'm not sure what fantasy models I have in Sheffield at the moment, so I might have to beg/borrow.


I'll bring along two forces on Saturday. I'd better read the rules a bit more thoroughly then.
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
User avatar
Morph
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Monday 29th June, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: GW fatigue

Postby Mattman » Monday 25th February, 2013 9:55 am

Talorian wrote:I can help you write an army or you can talk to Dave who has already worked out the Ork army list


Make sure he has the most recent copy of the ork rules, think he was using version 5 last time ;)

BlackCat wrote:
I like the idea of 40k related games that aren't 40k, but BFG hurt my head too much, and converting my epic army to NETepic has created a mental block (though if anyone would like to sit down with me and help me do it, that'd be swell)!

Someone, organise a GORKAMORKA campaign ^_^!


The only other ones to play would be Inquisitor or Necromunda.

Now a properly developed skirmish game in the 40k universe could be good, some sort of mash up of the 40k RPGs, necro, inquisitor and other bits and pieces?

Matt
User avatar
Mattman
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Monday 29th June, 2009 8:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron