Scouting for interest: Pathfinder

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

Scouting for interest: Pathfinder

Postby BlackCat » Sunday 27th January, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi all,

My RPG tail is twitching!

I was wondering, does anyone fancy starting a game?

I’d quite like to try Pathfinder, but I am open to other ideas/systems.

I don’t mind being the GM or a player.

Ideally the group would meet ~every fortnight (I can't really commit to anything more regular).

DISCLAIMER: I like using RP as an excuse to bake ;)
BlackCat

Re: Scouting for interest: Pathfinder

Postby Morph » Sunday 27th January, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm always up for some RPGing, and would really like to try out Pathfinder. I can be a tentative yes, depending on times.
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby BlackCat » Sunday 27th January, 2013 7:22 pm

:D

Tentative-ness is fine!

Pathfinder does indeed look great, though the book is more than hefty!

Any more interest?
BlackCat

Postby noodle » Sunday 27th January, 2013 9:40 pm

Me too. Tentative depending on when.
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle

Postby Talorian » Sunday 27th January, 2013 10:01 pm

maybe, though I think I'm more interested in the baked goods than the roleplaying :D
Talorian

Postby BlackCat » Sunday 27th January, 2013 10:25 pm

Awesome! I'd say there's enough space for ~2 more tentative people...

But that's already enough interest to warrant me buying the rulebook ^_^

Does anyone want to GM?

I suggest we aim to start sometime in March (that gives everyone enough time to have a think about plots/rules/characters (and gives me time to get my exam/ assignments out of the way)).

I suggest the start date to be: Tuesday 12th March.

I picked this date without much thought, and therefore it can easily be changed ( but I thought I'd attempt to be decisive).

Does that work?

It's also probably easier if we communicate via email than in this thread (mine is: vi.spencer87@gmail.com).

Baking bribary always works ;)

A bit about Pathfinder:

"The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game puts you in the role of a brave adventurer fighting to survive in a world beset by magic and evil!
Take on the role of a canny fighter hacking through enemies with an enchanted sword, a powerful sorceress blessed with magic by the hint of demon blood in her veins, a wise cleric of gods benevolent or malign, a witty rogue ready to defuse even the deadliest of traps, or any of countless other heroes. The only limit is your imagination!"

"Pathfinder is one of the most popular "all-purpose" fantasy role-playing games, in the classic style of Dungeons & Dragons. Your fighter, wizard, priest, or rogue character (amongst many, many other options) will battle dragons, orcs, and demons, accumulate treasure, and - provided they survive - advance to epic powers. Pathfinder is a game of high fantasy with a strong focus on combat. It is quite rules-heavy, but it is extremely well-supported.

The Pathfinder RPG was published in 2009 after extensive public testing. But it's history goes several years farther back, for the game itself is based on Dungeons & Dragons (3.5 Edition) - when Wizards of the Coast moved on to the 4th edition of that game, Paizo decided to use the "Open Game License" to keep a derivative of D&D 3.5 in print. The result was the Pathfinder RPG."
Last edited by BlackCat on Thursday 31st January, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BlackCat

Postby Namhaft » Sunday 27th January, 2013 11:21 pm

I'm tempted to give it ago. Although i've never done any roleplay games before.
Namhaft

Postby BlackCat » Sunday 27th January, 2013 11:45 pm

Namhaft wrote:I'm tempted to give it ago. Although i've never done any roleplay games before.

My experience was that it took a while for me to get into them (and out of the wargaming 'so how do I win' mentality), but can be fun ^_^

You could always give it ago, and if you don't like it your character could come to a 'grizzly end'...
BlackCat

Postby Tikal » Monday 28th January, 2013 2:48 am

I'll put a tentative hand up to register interest - time dependent of course. Tom its just like wargaming with narrative in between the fights... sometimes these wonderful interludes may allow you to avoid future fights but more likely just mean you will dig yourself in deeper resulting in a bigger kicking.

As far as communication I think everyone replying to this thread is friends on facebook so just set up a chat - emails are so last millennium!
What can you do against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?
Tikal

Postby Morph » Monday 28th January, 2013 8:50 am

For those interested the Pathfinder rules (and some of the other books for the system) can be found here...

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

And that's on the company's own website, they've gone with the theory of being nice to their players (unlike some games companies :) ).
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby IronWithin » Monday 28th January, 2013 9:28 pm

I'd be interested depending on when it is.
“From Iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so."
http://theunbreakablelitany.blogspot.co.uk/
IronWithin

Postby woodnoggin » Tuesday 29th January, 2013 5:55 pm

Morph wrote:And that's on the company's own website, they've gone with the theory of being nice to their players.

:o It'll never work.
woodnoggin

Postby BlackCat » Thursday 31st January, 2013 12:26 pm

Tikal wrote:As far as communication I think everyone replying to this thread is friends on facebook so just set up a chat - emails are so last millennium!

Excellent! I'll set one up now!

IronWithin wrote:I'd be interested depending on when it is.

I don't think I have you on FB, I'm under then name 'Victoria Squirrels' :D

John/Eric in the Emporium have offered to show me the ropes of the ruleset/answer any questions which we might generate, which is pretty awesome :D

And I MAY be planning to use this as an excuse to paint some more minitures...Whoops...
BlackCat

Postby seriesofbadjokes » Thursday 31st January, 2013 6:12 pm

Already in 3 games a week so doubt if I can squeeze in a 4th. If you need any hints/tips I'd be more than happy to help.
"Home, home on LaGrange: Where the space debris always collects: We possess, so it seems, two of Man's greatest dreams: Solar power and zero-gee sex."
seriesofbadjokes

Return to Other Games