The Hobbit

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

The Hobbit

Postby BlackCat » Thursday 13th December, 2012 8:21 pm

Hey all,

I was wondering if there is any interest in the new Hobbit game from GW? Has anyone looked into the game at all?

I know LoTR has a bit of a shaky reputation, but I quite fancy playing a fantasy (non-sci-fi) game and have always had a hankering for Dwarfs :D !
BlackCat

Re: The Hobbit

Postby Rick » Thursday 13th December, 2012 9:52 pm

I think a lot of people are going to feel they already have a fantasy army (WFB) and don't want to invest in another game which does a similar thing.

I seem to remember some of the new comers posting they were into LoTR on the intro forum though and I've seen people painting LoTR models on the painting table (Hatty's fiends?) so that might be a good place to start.
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick

Postby BlackCat » Thursday 13th December, 2012 10:28 pm

I thought as much. It's a shame GW didn't release the beginner box as a standalone game really.

I've never really liked the LoTR models (except the fellowship) which has always put me off, but the hobbit models are really nice. I might just get a few to paint up :)

I keep considering putting together a Dwarf Warhammer Fantasty army but the thought of painting (and buying) multiple blocks of 40x warriors puts me off!
BlackCat

Postby Talorian » Saturday 15th December, 2012 8:52 am

I'll be playing over Christmas and let you know how I feel about it. The escape from goblin town is supposed to be a game in itself with a very specific scenario. It just allows you to easily expand out to the rest of the range.

I must admit I do like the models, especially radagast, it's a shame you can only get him in the starter box.
Talorian

Postby Morph » Monday 17th December, 2012 6:13 pm

Having now seen the Hobbit, I would certainly give the game a go. I actually quite liked the LotT game, a well made skirmish game that I think just suffered from a weird stigma of being based on a licence. It was definitely fun recreating bits from the movies (though the films rarely had moments where Merry and Pippin were casually sacrificed to slow down goblins).
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby BlackCat » Sunday 23rd December, 2012 1:53 pm

Well, I caved (sebastian is just too darn cute).

I'll try and get The hobbit EFGT set painted and ready for meetings next term. The scenerios with the set look really fun, and at a glance have a more boardgame-y feel than a wargame- which might make a nice change.
Hopefully if I turn up with them, someone will play it with me.

Morph wrote:Having now seen the Hobbit, I would certainly give the game a go.

Yay :D
BlackCat

Postby Rick » Sunday 23rd December, 2012 2:10 pm

I'm sure you'l get people to join in if you turn up with painted models. I'd definitely be interested, I'm just not wanting to actually buy anything :)
Rick

Postby BlackCat » Sunday 23rd December, 2012 4:20 pm

Rick wrote:I'm sure you'l get people to join in if you turn up with painted models. I'd definitely be interested, I'm just not wanting to actually buy anything :)

That is my cunning plan!

Only the small matter of the 6000 words+ of assignments I need to do/ full time work at placement over xmas standing in my way...I can paint the entire boxset in two days, right?

Rick- I hope you have an equally deluded painting schedule for the Christmas break :D
BlackCat

Postby Rick » Sunday 23rd December, 2012 8:04 pm

I wouldn't bother with the assignment, you can get that done in the 2 days before it needs to be handed in like everyone else.

Of course I have a delusional painting schedule, its Christmas! :) Since my plans in previous years to paint an entire army over the break didn't work out too well I've learned this year. I plan to paint 4 armies. Oh, and I still need to keep up with Ian's models and start a business. Lets compare notes on how things went when we get back :)
Rick

Postby BlackCat » Sunday 6th January, 2013 4:40 pm

Rick wrote:I wouldn't bother with the assignment, you can get that done in the 2 days before it needs to be handed in like everyone else.

Sadly, in my old age, I get a bit OCD with assignments. I wish I could go back to ignoring them till last minute, like the good old days! Now I'm all about wasting time doing spider diagrams and drafts. WTF!

Rick wrote: Of course I have a delusional painting schedule, its Christmas! :) Since my plans in previous years to paint an entire army over the break didn't work out too well I've learned this year. I plan to paint 4 armies. Oh, and I still need to keep up with Ian's models and start a business. Lets compare notes on how things went when we get back :)

Ha! How have the 4 armies turned out? I hope at least 3 of these projects where skirmish games?
I've now pretty much finished the Hobbit figures (only the scenery to do), though it took me ~ 4 days I reckon. A bit more than I hoped. I don't ever want to paint a batch of goblins that big ever again though! My Dry brush was a mere stump by the end!
BlackCat

Postby Rick » Sunday 6th January, 2013 7:29 pm

56 models in 4 days? Well I'm impressed! I like to use cheaper (but still good quality) army painter brushes for the dirty work so I don't cry when they get ruined - I was getting through 1 brush per drop pod with Ian's stuff!

I cheatily define the xmas break as lasting until term starts again, so I still have a month to go :) (EDIT: or I thought I did. I hear we have rooms again from the 19th?) Progress is actually pretty good although I need to paint some of Ian's models again or he'll think I don't love him any more. 3 of my projects have very small models and I only hope to start the 4th.
Rick

Return to Other Games