Flames of War 3rd Ed

Discussion of CCGs, board games, RPGs and non-GW wargames

Flames of War 3rd Ed

Postby Rick » Thursday 16th February, 2012 11:07 pm

For those of us with flames of war armies, 3rd edition has just been released. Plenty of places are giving away free mini rulebooks if you buy some flames of war stuff (Maelstrum and Wayland for starters). I understand Emporium may be doing this as well but have a minimum spend.

Just thought I'd mention it on the forum since these offers are limited time only (end of feb in most cases), so by the time any of us got round to picking it up again they'd no longer be available.
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick

Re: Flames of War 3rd Ed

Postby noodle » Saturday 18th February, 2012 12:25 pm

I probably want the big rulebook anyway.
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle

Postby Tommen » Thursday 8th March, 2012 5:48 am

I've decided I'm going to start a late-war german army, though I might not get to play it often I just miss making and painting WW2 models. How far would I get with building a list with 5 panthers and some panzergrenadiers?

On a slightly different note and might belong in the modelling section, what are Peter pig models like/made of? Some of the infantry and tanks look great while others look like they are made of plasticine. I'm assuming they are metal?
Tommen

Postby Sam » Thursday 8th March, 2012 2:18 pm

Tommen wrote:I've decided I'm going to start a late-war german army

Do you have any of the Flames of War army books? If not I'll bring mine on saturday if you're around. Can show you the army lists and breakdown/ minimum requirements for each type of force. Similar in principle 40k - in fact, to most wargames that come to mind.
"Unleashing a rancid potpouri of lunacy..."
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby Rick » Thursday 8th March, 2012 6:05 pm

I may have recommended them to you before but you'll get plenty of use if you pop along to GIMPs down near the end of Queens Road as they play a lot of FoW.

Sam and Duncan are the ones to ask about germans but I'd definitely recommend shopping around for models, battlefront minis apparently aren't the cheapest on the market.

BTW, I got myself a copy of the FoW 3rd ed rulebook but haven't actually had a chance to read it.
Rick

Postby Rick » Tuesday 10th April, 2012 12:28 am

For those seeking cheaper alternatives to battlefront models, Emporium has some plastic soldier stuff in. The range is limited but considerably cheaper than battlefront, tanks seem to be under half the price.
Rick

Postby Tommen » Saturday 28th April, 2012 6:49 am

Alrighty, after a ridiculously long absence and far too long without any games I have a small (and as far I can tell, legal) FoW force. Would anyone fancy a game or two to teach me how to play it a bit? Also need to test my speedfreaks but that belongs in another thread :D
Tommen

Postby Sam » Saturday 28th April, 2012 9:33 am

Will bring my stuff along, though I haven't played for AGES and haven't really absorbed the 3rd Ed yet.

Still, it didn't take me long first time round (and it's famously closer to 40k rules than ever before!) so we should get the hang of it quickly
"Unleashing a rancid potpouri of lunacy..."
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby Rick » Wednesday 7th November, 2012 6:21 pm

I've mentioned them previously but here's a quick plug for plastic solider. Their prices are considerably below battlefront and they do some very good company/battalion deals.

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/

The selection has been a bit limited with up till now only the soviets having a decent range but it looks like in the last few days they just released a lot of german stuff (panther armies have never been so cheap). It also seems like US infantry, heavy weapons and half tracks are next on the release list which will make it viable to build the bulk of a US army with plastic soldier stuff.
Rick

Postby Morph » Wednesday 7th November, 2012 7:47 pm

Doesn't seem too expensive but having no experience of the game, how much stuff is needed? I do have the rulebook but the army list bits just confused me... :(
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby noodle » Wednesday 7th November, 2012 8:34 pm

We need to do a flames of war campaign. Starting with a campaign day. I also have armies to lend.
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle

Postby Rick » Wednesday 7th November, 2012 9:54 pm

Morph wrote:Doesn't seem too expensive but having no experience of the game, how much stuff is needed? I do have the rulebook but the army list bits just confused me... :(

Its been a while since I played and my books are out of date, but to give you a rough idea most games are at the company scale (battalion for soviets) and plastic solider sells company/battalion boxes for around £45-£57 which will give you a very solid core. You'll need to add some weapons platoons and divisional support for a rounded army and I think the overall cost will depend on what you want and how much of it you can get from plastic solider (i.e. how complete their range is for your faction). I reckon £100 for a full army? You could probably do it a lot cheaper for certain builds (e.g. american tank army entirely made up of sherman variants £65, or if you want to be super cheesy a panther army is around £35 :) )

Typically mechanised armies are the most expensive (due to needing lots of transports and tanks as well as infantry and support units) whilst a tank army should be pretty cheap and you're most of the way there with a company box.

At the moment the british and american are pretty limited so best waiting a bit for them (but shouldn't be too long), I was mainly posting because they suddenly expanded the german range so I thought that might be interesting to some.

EDIT: oh, you might also be able to order this through emporium at a 10% discount but you'll need to check with them.
Rick

Postby BlackCat » Thursday 8th November, 2012 10:58 pm

noodle wrote:We need to do a flames of war campaign. Starting with a campaign day. I also have armies to lend.

A campaign would be ace.
I'm slowly building up an American army (Easy company). I'm contemplating making terrain trees with parachutes tangled into them :D !

*Needs more hands to model/paint with*
BlackCat

Postby Mattman » Thursday 8th November, 2012 11:50 pm

Have always thought about giving FoW ago, would someone be able to give me a demo next time I am over?

Matt
Mattman

Postby Talorian » Friday 9th November, 2012 12:28 am

I was in Wargames Emporium today and they have a load of Plastic Soldier in stock. John says he can't get the starter deals, but enough people went to him he said he might be able to swing an offer that would be equivalent.
Talorian

Postby Rick » Friday 9th November, 2012 1:23 am

BlackCat wrote:
noodle wrote:We need to do a flames of war campaign. Starting with a campaign day. I also have armies to lend.

A campaign would be ace.
I'm slowly building up an American army (Easy company). I'm contemplating making terrain trees with parachutes tangled into them :D !

*Needs more hands to model/paint with*

Hehe, just finished watching band of brothers today which is what's been giving me the WWII vibe. I noticed battlefront actually has an easy company boxed set coming out soon with various "historical" characters in it (although how you'd tell in 15mm is beyond me).

@Matt: I'm not sure if anyone has read the 3rd ed rules yet but I'm sure someone will be happy to demo it once they have. I can lend soviets, you'll need to ask duncan for anything else.

@Ian: Sounds good. I'd certainly rather order through emporium and give them a cut where possible.
Rick

Postby seriesofbadjokes » Friday 9th November, 2012 5:50 pm

I've said before I'd be interested in FoW, probably one of the minor forces though rather than a major power, but can look at that after learning the game.
"Home, home on LaGrange: Where the space debris always collects: We possess, so it seems, two of Man's greatest dreams: Solar power and zero-gee sex."
seriesofbadjokes

Postby BlackCat » Friday 9th November, 2012 7:18 pm

Rick wrote:Hehe, just finished watching band of brothers today which is what's been giving me the WWII vibe. I noticed battlefront actually has an easy company boxed set coming out soon with various "historical" characters in it (although how you'd tell in 15mm is beyond me).

I've just started reading the band of brothers book, but will be re-watching the series too :D

I should probably add that I can't remember the rules, and I haven't played with the new edition at all...but it's enthusiasm that counts? Right?..

It's a shame the Imperial War museum in Duxford is so far away :( That would be a great society trip!
BlackCat

Postby BlackCat » Saturday 10th November, 2012 10:23 pm

I have started a FoW Blog :D:
http://eaglesinthesnow.blogspot.co.uk/
BlackCat

Postby Morph » Saturday 10th November, 2012 11:54 pm

These guys seem reasonable priced too, and have a big range...

http://www.forgedinbattle.com/
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Next

Return to Other Games