Rumours for WFB and 40k

Discussion of Games Workshop's systems and their universes

Re: Rumours for WFB and 40k

Postby Sam » Wednesday 28th May, 2014 2:22 pm

I think the greatest scope for broken combos may come from Eldar/Dark Eldar alliances. Retaining the "battle brothers" status, with its various perks, will certainly help with making some hardcore lists that retain Battle Forged status.

I could envisage these alliances being very competent, if not formidable, in every game phase.

I'm watching you, Talorian... ;)
"Unleashing a rancid potpouri of lunacy..."
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby The Kremlin » Wednesday 28th May, 2014 3:24 pm

Eldar do seem to be doing well out of the ruleset. Wave Serpents may have to declare a jink and snapshoot now, but if taken for Troops they get Objective Secured. Seer Councils are very resilient, can be near invulnerable with Invisibility and Fortune, and generate loads of Warp Charge to dominate the Psychic Phase - at lower risk too, given the various items available.

Allying with Dark Eldar gives the option for assault units out of open-topped transports (though it'd be good to see the likes of Howling Banshees viable again), and bringing characters like the Baron into units.

Admittedly the hail of support powers is less likely to work, so you'd better get the best out of your only-snap-shotted-at re-rolling-saves many warp charge Seer Council by using those few key powers and the rest of your army in support.

The high mobility of both armies would seem to help with the Maelstrom of War missions.

This said: I can still see power in some Imperial-Imperial builds. You can still run, eg, a bike command squad with an allied or second-detachment chapter master in, for dual orbital bombardment (usually twin-linked due to Coteaz-thrown Prescience - warp charge 2 or not, still very possible to get off). Sure, the tau commander based build with Centurions is gone, but multiple Chapter Masters in a hard unit - whether Centurions or a Bike Command Squad - is still very possible and could be highly effective. With two main detachments you can spam Troops to fill the rest of the army if you like, or take more combat capable units.

TauDar loses the ability to Farseer buff the Tau stuff, but Tau still benefit from a Wraithknight and Jetbikes, so I reckon it keeps much of its power except at the very hard edge, remaining an extremely potent combination for society play. Losing a few tricks doesn't remove the power of the army, to my initial estimate.

More I think about it, the more Invisibility seems like a real problem for the game, but will wait to see it in play to be sure.
The Kremlin

Postby Talorian » Wednesday 28th May, 2014 4:42 pm

Sam wrote:I think the greatest scope for broken combos may come from Eldar/Dark Eldar alliances. Retaining the "battle brothers" status, with its various perks, will certainly help with making some hardcore lists that retain Battle Forged status.

I could envisage these alliances being very competent, if not formidable, in every game phase.

I'm watching you, Talorian... ;)

I'm sure I can work out something busted for my Harlequin faction ;)
Talorian

Postby noodle » Wednesday 28th May, 2014 9:06 pm

So far my list building isn't going well. All my unbound lists have been one dimensional spam which won't work much of the time. As for battle forged, so far my single foc lists seem just as good. I can't have 4x tank commanders without 4x troops, which weakens it... That might be why you can't ally with yourself ;)

Allies wise I already had a fairly busted guard-tau ally force before 7th...

And now I shall tackle putting in psykers
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle

Postby The Kremlin » Wednesday 28th May, 2014 9:10 pm

My problem is I've written a list I really want to try out and I don't have the models for it yet!
The Kremlin

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Wednesday 28th May, 2014 9:27 pm

my problem is that to bring my Dark Eldar to 2000 points I need Eldar allies...
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Previous

Return to The Dark Nightmare of the Grim Dark Nightmarish Future