a) Those new Wood Elf models are seriously gorgeous:

https://twitter.com/TaleofFourGeeks/sta ... 28/photo/1
https://twitter.com/TaleofFourGeeks/sta ... 28/photo/1
https://twitter.com/TaleofFourGeeks/sta ... 96/photo/1
https://twitter.com/TaleofFourGeeks/sta ... 16/photo/1
https://twitter.com/TaleofFourGeeks/sta ... 69/photo/1
https://twitter.com/TaleofFourGeeks/sta ... 64/photo/1
https://twitter.com/TaleofFourGeeks/sta ... 12/photo/1

b) Rumours suggest 40k 7th Edition on May 24th! Though they also suggest it to be more of a 6.1/6.5 - small updates, consolidation of stuff like escalation into the main rulebook, changes to details, etc etc rather than a full new edition from the ground up.
The Kremlin

Re: Rumours for WFB and 40k

Postby noodle » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 10:09 am

b) Yeah a 6.5 would make sense - consolidate all the books you already have into one so you can buy what you already have again ;)

- but with a few tweaks to ensure you HAVE to buy it :D (battlefront special that one)

I hope they tidy up some of the rules and sort out flying monsters
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle

Postby The Kremlin » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 10:12 am

Apparently the psychic power cards are getting withdrawn/reissued, so here's hoping for Divination being less bent...
The Kremlin

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 11:52 am

noodle wrote:I hope ... and sort out flying monsters

Yeah, thats the one thing I'd focus on as well, not the ridiculous allies chart or flyers in general.
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 12:02 pm

There are plenty of things that need fixing in 40k, Flyers, Flying Monsters, Over Watch, some of the Psychic powers (not just divination), Psychic defence, interceptor and various others things that don't really work.

Allies for me is a big one, that really needs to be sorted out, in theory it's a good idea, but in practise it just leads to really really broken lists.

Hooray for Wood Elves, though I have just bought a Dwarf Army :roll:
Talorian

Postby The Kremlin » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 12:24 pm

Yeah, I'd like to see a lot of that sorted too. The flyer rules are somewhat poor, I agree that maybe powers generally need a look while still thinking Divination is the worst, and the precise mechanism behind allies *really* needs a look, or at very least sharing of special rules to whole units needs changing.

I'm on the fence about assault out of transports. On the one hand, it'd give a lot of underused units a role again. On the other, I like how transport vehicles actually feel like transports and infantry fighting vehicles rather than just assault platforms in 6th.

On Wood Elves, we have some rules:

Sisters of the Thorns are like Dark Elf Warlocks. A very few points more expensive (still under 30), and get Shield of Thorns and Curse of Anraihir. They're worse in combat and have an armour piercing 12" range javelin, but they still do the 4+ ward fastcav bunker thing that Warlocks do, and Curse is a very solid spell to give the Wood Elves a way to make deathstar units and big hordes scared.

There's also a unit of great-weapon wielding wood elves who get immune to psych and +1A if fighting a fear or terror causing enemy, for the same cost as, eg, a Witch Elf. Seems quite cool.

Not sure what else yet. Special rules seem to be ASF and Forest Stalker that I've seen so far, with forest spirits being immune to psych and 6+ natural ward save, probably.
The Kremlin

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 1:10 pm

The latest White Dwarf has rules for 2 Wood Elf Special characters and they both seem pretty nails. One is Durthu, a WS 7 treeman with 6 attacks, he's also got a S2 shooting attack with 2D6 shots and killing blow, so that'll be annoying for some people too. The Forest Spirit rule is as you have said, immune to Psych and 6+ ward save.

The other character is some new elf with a hawk. The hawk attacks any model within 18 inches at some point in the turn, I can't remember exactly when and does a S4 hit, if rolls a 6 to wound and actually wounds, the model effected has lost an eye and has it's WS and I reduced by 5. He also has a special spear which has the attacks in extra ranks rule, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is carried by the wood elf spearmen as well. He has a 4+ ward save too and ASF, Stubborn (unbreakable if on his own).

I still want to see what they are planning on doing with Wardancers, a T3 model with little to no save is not much use unless you can protect it when it gets into combat.
Talorian

Postby Rick » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 1:46 pm

Those models actually look really nice. Really not convinced by the treemen on the GW website though. They seem to be trying to create their own unique style for them but for some reason the computer generated shapes and those rectangular bases just look wrong.
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick

Postby IronWithin » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 3:53 pm

I like the Treeman model, whispers on forums are people going "ooo counts as Avatar/Wraithknight". I may have to dust off that half built Wood Elf Army, money permitting.

There are a hell of a lot of things wrong with 40k, but the one that bugs me is the imbalance between shooting and assault (of which transport options are one), though if I reckon I might as well wish for a pony.

I personally think the 6.5 is just a repackage, with some rules and erratas thrown in, nothing really fixed.
“From Iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so."
http://theunbreakablelitany.blogspot.co.uk/
IronWithin

Postby The Kremlin » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 4:59 pm

OK, the wood elf rumours are going *nuts*.

As in, glade guard at 12pts/model, but for +5/model, you can give them special arrows that ignore armour saves.

That's me dropping the cold one army right there, if it's true... :-(
The Kremlin

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 5:14 pm

The Kremlin wrote:OK, the wood elf rumours are going *nuts*.

As in, glade guard at 12pts/model, but for +5/model, you can give them special arrows that ignore armour saves.

That would be an instant no brainer then, oh, no armour saves for anything, bye bye everything, bye bye :twisted:

It would also be the most boring army of boring doom if that was the case, the Wood Elf archer army was dull enough, but that would just mean lots and lots of small units of archers shooting things up.
Talorian

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 5:29 pm

The Kremlin wrote:OK, the wood elf rumours are going *nuts*.

That's me dropping the cold one army right there, if it's true... :-(

Thats one of the worst wargames things I've ever heard of.
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby IronWithin » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 5:44 pm

Not knowing the exact rules of WFB, I cannot say if this is effectively "ignores armour" but from what I've read it's Armour Piercing -3 which are magical flaming poisoned arrows that shoot twice per shooting phase. I don't play WFB and that sounds evil.

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/wo ... -pics.html
“From Iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so."
http://theunbreakablelitany.blogspot.co.uk/
IronWithin

Postby The Kremlin » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 5:50 pm

A reliable source with the book is feeding info to twitter as I type this, and has noted that it is in fact a series of extra options on top of the base grave guard (at 1pt more than a witch elf for the base archer, who gets AP all the time, 30" range, but does suffer move and fire penalties. Can fire/fight in 3 ranks if in a wood.)

The options are 3/model for poison, or 3/model for flaming plus armour piercing against forces of darkness, or 5/model for ignores armour saves.

Poster has been asked if it is -3 to saves as rumoured elsewhere, and has said no, it is definitely no armour saves.

I mean, 17 for a fairly defenceless elf is quite a bit, but that's horrible. Testing will see how it actually impacts the game - I can't see any easy answers in the stuff rumoured so far to a well put together Daemon army, for example, which may mean the army is still lower in power level, or at least has to sacrifice some of the gunline goodness to be able to keep DoC at bay. We'll see.
The Kremlin

Postby The Kremlin » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 6:10 pm

I would also have to actually play it out a few times to see to what extent it is viable or possible to mitigate the effects via using intervening units - eg fastcav for example - to provide cover to my high-armour-save heavies.

Also to run some maths: 10 grave guard (170pts) at long range score 5 hits. That's 2.5 cold one knights dead (ow), but also it takes two such units to kill a demigryph, and they'll expect a shade under a wound against a steam tank, for example.

Nasty, but we'll see if they can stop just being rushed.

From a Dark Elf perspective I'm already considering redesigned lists with bunker infantry units (or, I suppose, cheaper fastcav) used to provide delivery mechanisms for pegasus characters, who can then fly out and remove threatening units without taking any fire. Or just larger warlock buses, with their ward save, or... we'll see really.

Thinking Lizards, I'll need Chameleons to clear vanguard space for temple guard and/or skink cohorts with characters in, but that plus Slann magic ought to be a serious threat - Curse from the Sisters of the Thorn is a worry, though.
The Kremlin

Postby Palfy » Tuesday 29th April, 2014 9:11 pm

Talorian wrote: He also has a special spear which has the attacks in extra ranks rule, so I wouldn't be surprised if that is carried by the wood elf spearmen as well.

Every spear has the fight in extra ranks rule. Is this fight in extra-extra ranks rule?

The new models look ace.

Unsure what to make of the ignore armour shots. Are the bows still longbows that get +1 str at short range? If they're always str 3, might not be too bad. They will still die to magic missiles.
John Poultryman
Palfy

Postby The Kremlin » Wednesday 30th April, 2014 9:18 am

OK, source has gone back and checked and it is -3 to armour saves for 5pts.

Pity - more I thought about it, more I thought that no armour saves wouldn't have been that broken.

Waywatchers still actually do get no saves (or multiple shots 2 - they can choose), I gather.
The Kremlin

Postby The Kremlin » Wednesday 30th April, 2014 9:47 am

Also, you know the bit that is making me laugh ruefully?

The free forest is explicitly written in the rules as "has to be a Citadel forest".

Oh GW...
The Kremlin

Postby Talorian » Wednesday 30th April, 2014 9:48 am

Even -3 is enough to upset most units. Sure Heavy cavalry will probably not be overly bothered, but even then a 2+ save goes to a 5 up. It also gives them something to deal with single models on their own running around with a 1+ save.

I'll get my mitts on the book early next week, so might work out what I can field with models I already have. Though as I'm not likely to be around much between now and the end of the Academic year, it might be September before most of you will see the my Wood Elves coming back to play.

Dwarfs and Wood Elves to sort out over the summer, that should be fun.

I have a GW forest, so I'm not bothered by that one :)
Talorian

Postby Mattman » Wednesday 30th April, 2014 11:43 am

Talorian wrote: Though as I'm not likely to be around much between now and the end of the Academic year, it might be September before most of you will see the my Wood Elves coming back to play.

House going to get in the way?
Mattman

Next

Return to The Dark Nightmare of the Grim Dark Nightmarish Future