Stronghold Assault and Escalation

Discussion of Games Workshop's systems and their universes

Re: Stronghold Assault and Escalation

Postby IronWithin » Monday 16th December, 2013 11:41 pm

GW digital said something the size of the weapon battery (the double AA fortification) was the comparable size. I would reckon a small building (6"x6" at most) was about right)
“From Iron cometh strength. From strength cometh will. From will cometh faith. From faith cometh honour. From honour cometh iron. This is the Unbreakable Litany. And may it forever be so."
http://theunbreakablelitany.blogspot.co.uk/
IronWithin

Re: Stronghold Assault and Escalation

Postby Namhaft » Monday 30th December, 2013 10:04 pm

The facebook page for the nationals just posted the following:

'Several people have been inquiring on the status of Escalation within 40k. Our team have looked at Escalation and other recent additions to 40k and the response is below. The wargames rules pack will be updated shortly to reflect these changes.

"To all Nationals 40k Tournament participants;

RE: Escalation, Stronghold Assault and Dataslates
Having finally had a chance to review these products, I feel I can make an informed decision on whether to include them in this tournament. I'll go through each individually and explain my reasoning behind each decision.

First, Escalation.

Though I personally don't think that Super-heavy vehicles in Escalation are particularly unbalanced, part of that balance comes from the additional Victory Points, Warlord Traits and additions to the regular missions (along with the Alter of War and Gauntlet missions). Many of these additions are not compatible with the outlined tournament system, and for that reason we shall not be including the Escalation supplement.

Next, we have Stronghold Assault.

Unlike Escalation, Stronghold Assault doesn't affect the missions (though I am looking forward to playing the attacking and defending missions presented at the end of the book). The Fortification Networks do not alter the Force Organisation Chart (FOC) and the updated building rules really help clarify some of the issues from that section of the rulebook. For those reasons, we shall be including it for this tournament, but with one caveat; you cannot take any models (including fortifications) with a Strength D weapon.

I strongly urge all players to read through the updated building rules, along with rereading the building rules in the rulebook. The updates specifically outline Claimed/Unclaimed buildings (including introducing the Sentry Defence System special rule), how fortifications affect Victory Points, which units can occupy fortifications, how Battlements work, how Gun Emplacements on Battlements work, Assaulting from Fortifications and the Updated Building Damage Table. There are also a range of Fortification Upgrades and an updated Battlefield Debris section.

Finally, Dataslates.

These fall into two categories; Army List Entries and Formations. The former slot right in to the regular codex army lists, so they aren't really an issue and shall be allowed. Formations, however, sit outside the regular FOC, even not counting as allies! As such, they won't be allowed.

I hope that clears things up for people. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to contact me at the email address above. Looking forward to seeing you all in the new year.'
Namhaft

Previous

Return to The Dark Nightmare of the Grim Dark Nightmarish Future