2015 Nationals info

Discussion about society matters; off-topic discussion

2015 Nationals info

Postby Juheera » Thursday 25th September, 2014 5:35 pm

I have just received the nationals pack for this year which will be held at Leicester de Montfort Uni.

Cost is £25 per head and the uni will not be providing accommodation and parking spaces can be reserved if wanted.

Categories for wargames are as follows:

Bolt Action
Deadzone
Warmachine/Hordes
SAGA
Warhammer Fantasy
Warhammer 40k
Infinity
Dreadball
X-wing

I will upload the pdf to the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/Sheffielduniversitywargames/ and if anybody has any questions about specifics I will compile an email and send it to the organisers.

ed
Juheera
Society Chair

Re: 2015 Nationals info

Postby seriesofbadjokes » Thursday 25th September, 2014 5:47 pm

No Bloodbowl? Any bets on only 3 or 4 of the catagories running (WHFB, 40k, Warmahordes, X-Wing) and the rest not getting enough interest?

Put me down for Employee of the Aeon award (Geek of Steel) anyway.
"Home, home on LaGrange: Where the space debris always collects: We possess, so it seems, two of Man's greatest dreams: Solar power and zero-gee sex."
seriesofbadjokes

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Thursday 25th September, 2014 5:49 pm

Thats a little ambitious.

No bloodbowl or gothic, and 6 games that have never been run before...

edit: Also, 25% hike in entry fee? Not that I mind really, just goes with the ambitious bit. Its starting to remind me of when Vague ran wargames...

2nd edit: Do you enter for one boardgame for the whole weekend? The whole weekend playing pandemic?
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby Morph » Thursday 25th September, 2014 6:54 pm

The boardgames bit confused me, but then it says more will be added later so... it's all one category?
"Sometimes I worry my brilliance is a curse! But then I remember that actually no, it's super great!"
Morph

Postby Juheera » Saturday 27th September, 2014 6:28 pm

"With regards to the board games query: there are two categories for the weekend: Cooperative and Competitive. Once you have selected that category you'll likely play any one of the boardgames. There are some errors that people have been getting back to us about in the Infopack and this is one of them; there should be a new pack coming with updated information in the near future."

I emailed them and that is what they have told me with regard to boardgames. I also asked them about some 40k queries which I will post up as soon as they get back to me.

ed
Juheera
Society Chair

Postby Juheera » Friday 3rd October, 2014 2:30 pm

Updated Infopack has been uploaded to the facebook page

came with the following message:

"Hello folks,

First of all, we apologise profusely for the mess with the nationals pack. There were a couple of mix-ups within the team that have fortunately been resolved. Tentacorp would like us to assure you that those responsible have been sacrificed.

Now, we’re attaching an Infopack to this email and it is the final infopack we are sending out; everything has been double-checked and all information is correct and as up-to-date as it can be. Any changes made to events from now on will be based on issues as we encounter them, and you’ll be contacted if that’s the case.

We have made the following changes:

Boardgames have now been divided into two categories: Open and Cooperative

Cheques are no longer available payment method, though BACS is usable instead

Max applicants per categories per society have changed for all categories

LAN Gaming has been made into a standalone category, separate from RPGs

Legal information has been provided on LARP and costumes

Points will no longer be awarded for costume competition, quiz or model painting

Information on health and disability has been provided

We also have a quick note from our head of Wargaming:

We’ve chosen a mix of games this year to reflect new rules editions, new systems gaining popularity, feedback from last year’s event and to keep things simple and affordable for the players.

We can’t run every system you can think of but hope you’ll enjoy trying something from the mix of games on offer.

Many of these games have online tournament rules and we’ll generally be running with the latest versions of these, with some amendments to keep things balanced and fun for all. We’ve indicated the latest version of these as they stand at present.

Now that that’s all been cleared up, everything should be squared away admin-wise. Any further comments or enquiries about the changes we’ve made are of course welcome via the usual way.

Sorry again for the mix-up, hope to see you all here in March!

-The Nationals Team."
Juheera
Society Chair

Postby daishi » Tuesday 14th October, 2014 3:12 pm

I certainly can't see all of these running.

I think they are going to end up with a lot of people applying for games and then having to not go or move catagory as they start dropping the games. I'm definitely a little disappointed that Bloodbowl and Dystopian Wars are gone.

Personally I feel that there are better Fantasy and 40k players than me within the society and as I have no real interest in any of the other games going i would imagine i won't be going next year now
daishi

Postby Rommel » Tuesday 14th October, 2014 6:17 pm

Pack here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_vMGc ... poeDQ/view

Wargames categories seem abit unorthodox.
A Murder of Ravens - A Raven Guard Blog

40K Armies: Corellian Storm Guard, Raven Guard, Grey Knights
FoW: .78 Sturmdivision, 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich"
Rommel

Postby Palfy » Tuesday 14th October, 2014 9:27 pm

daishi wrote:Personally I feel that there are better Fantasy and 40k players than me within the society and as I have no real interest in any of the other games going i would imagine i won't be going next year now

Doesnt really matter how many people want to play in a category, it just means we enter more "teams".
John Poultryman
Palfy

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Thursday 16th October, 2014 7:20 pm

daishi wrote:Personally I feel that there are better Fantasy and 40k players than me within the society and as I have no real interest in any of the other games going i would imagine i won't be going next year now

Are you sure? Because I hear that for Bolt Action
Rules and a 1000 point army should cost you around £100, which compared to entering other more established categories represents great value for money.

Man I'm so tempted... :roll:

But Tom's right, last year we entered two teams, specifically so we could have 6 people playing 40k. I think one of them came last...
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby noodle » Friday 17th October, 2014 3:35 pm

I'm actually tempted by bolt action *but* it's basically £100 for a weekend of gaming. Maybe. Unless the game caught on here and we re fought ww2. Even then I have flames of war already. Meh.

At least we won't win...

Good value for money would be "we will provide models"!
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle

Postby Juheera » Saturday 22nd November, 2014 1:57 pm

Updates wargames info has been uploaded to the facebook page
Juheera
Society Chair

Return to The Zombie Apocalypse Contingency Plan