Socials

Discussion about society matters; off-topic discussion

Socials

Postby hellfire331 » Friday 2nd May, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi guys, Michael here.

I know many of you may not know who I am, but i'm your new social secretary for this year!

I've been informed that the society had social secretaries previously, but this has all but died out recently. I hope to start organising a range of non-alcoholic and alcohol related events to cater for all in the society. These could be simple excursions to places such as the cinema etc..., or visits to a pub after a hard days fighting on the tabletop. I wanted to create this thread to allow people to post what they would particularly like to get involved with, or see more of. Of course, amongst the veterans of the society, I would more than welcome any pointers or suggestions for events and defer to your wisdom.

As a final point, I would like to highlight that it is the Uni's annual beer and cider festival today, running from the 2nd - 4th of May. I appreciate that this is last minute, but having been down today, it's looking pretty good. Tomorrow is pie and ale day, although cider is still available, and it's a hog roast on Sunday. I'll be heading down in the late afternoon/evening on Saturday so if anyone from the society fancies coming down after Wargames, then feel free. It's free entry to all, and you simply buy tickets that equate to cash to buy half pints or pints of stuff whilst your in the beer garden, next to Bar One. Bar one is also open, providing other beverages and soft drinks in addition.

So please send any suggestions this way, and I hope to see you all soon!

Cheers!
hellfire331
Social Secretary

Re: Socials

Postby Talorian » Friday 2nd May, 2014 4:17 pm

Having been the original Social Secretary, I found that my life was quite easy as the only old person around was Simon Canham, so I could easily get people to Pop Tarts after wargames, nothing like dropping your army off in the cloakroom and watching the people break their arms trying to lift it over the counter. You have lots more us us oldies that won't leave now, when you factor this in, you'll probably find that what's cool and fun and exciting for the younger ones won't necessarily be seen as such by some of the older ones and vice versa. Though there are some older people, who still think they are cool and hip(ster) like SCrowe, though he's closer to hip replacement these days ;)

Basically, what I'm getting at is you can't please everyone, so don't try to. Arrange events and they will come or not, but don't try and force folks into doing things they just don't want to do.

We have in the dim distant past gone paintballing, 10 pin bowling, clubbing and meals out.

Annoyingly I'm working and moving house this weekend, so no pie and ale for me, much to my chagrin.
Talorian

Postby Mattman » Friday 2nd May, 2014 10:21 pm

Quasar!
Mattman

Postby hellfire331 » Sunday 12th October, 2014 4:12 pm

Looking to a get a laser quest social sorted in the next 2 weeks, date to be confirmed depending on interest. Could people comment below so I can get an idea of numbers?

Cheers!
hellfire331
Social Secretary

Postby noodle » Sunday 12th October, 2014 8:54 pm

Laser quest sounds fun :)
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle