Wargaming for science take 2?

Discussion about society matters; off-topic discussion

Wargaming for science take 2?

Postby charles.fox » Monday 2nd December, 2013 4:28 pm

Dear SWS,

Some of you came to play 40k in the Sheffield Uni speech recognition lab last year -- I wonder if you would like to repeat the experience?

Last time we had a huige stack of prototype recording equipment, we recorded a full day of gaming audio on about 100 microphones, cameras and body trackers. Free food was provided and a fun time was had by all.

We have now published the first analysis of the data and are finding it a very interesting data resource to work with. We have been improving our recording setup in the meantime as well and would like to follow up with another full day to try out some of our new kit.

As before, the room hire and food throughout the day is on us -- please could the society get in contact with me if you would like to do this again -- I'm on charles dot fox at sheffield ac if you'd like to email me.

On a related note, we need to get parts of the first recording transcribed by humans too and are able to pay about 10 pounds/hour (I think) to any members familiar with the 40k game to listen though the files and type them up. I've done a lot of this myself as have my collegues and we think that having an understanding of what's going on is very important, hence we are paying a bit more that we usually do for general transcription work. Please let me know if you would like to get involved with this too.

Charles Fox
Researcher, Speech and Hearing group, University of Sheffield, www.5m.org.uk
charles.fox

Re: Wargaming for science take 2?

Postby Sam » Wednesday 11th December, 2013 11:59 am

I'd just like to bump this thread.

I e-mailed Charles; he has no fixed timetable in mind, he has suggested some time in January or February. Apparrently they have got the set up of equipment down to a fine art, so the date can be flexible.

For those who are interested, please would you e-mail Charles on:

charles.fox@sheffield.ac.uk
"Unleashing a rancid potpouri of lunacy..."
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby Namhaft » Wednesday 11th December, 2013 2:04 pm

For those unaware palfry has posted this onto the facebook page. A large number of people have already expressed interest.
Namhaft

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 11:30 am

I've received a mail from Charles about this (went to Sam Watson and the society address as well), I've volunteered to be his organiser on our side.

He's looking at running the event on the weekend of the 23rd and 24th of May, so gives us plenty of time to get things sorted. Right now, I'm just looking for people who would be willing to be attached to some recording equipment and play toy soldiers. It was good fun last time and they really fed us well, so if you can post below with your interest and we'll see what he wants and what we can do.
Talorian

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 12:28 pm

Update from Charles on things he's after;

Pretty much the same setup as last time would be ideal -- it would be nice to have a mix of the same players and also some new ones if available. So as many players as possible really. We'd like to keep the structure of 2 teams of 2 in each game as it gives an interesting mix of cooperation and competition.

As before, we are mostly interested in having people moving around as much as possible, so if you can set up a scenario to encourage this it would be useful. eg. ban all the units that just sit there firing heavy weapons, and somehow encourage lots of small squads of assault marines zooming around lots of different places on the whole table. Is there any way the scenario could encourage people to regularly walk around the table and have to do stuff on the other side?

For some new control studies though, it would be nice to have just a bit (eg 30 mins each) of data where

1. players are seated and not moving around at all -- eg. at the start of one scenario everyone is stuck in trench warfare throwing bombs at each other's positions before the assaults start

2. a highly formalized, "serious" version of the game, players restrain themselves from messing about or making jokes, and only speak about the game itself, as if they were doing a job interview. (Maybe you are used to playing like this in national competitions etc?)

As before we should have a bit of a food budget which can be spent according to your preferences (within reason).

So specific volunteers for the serious version would be good, if you feel you can't play seriously for an entire game, then please don't put your name down for that one.
Talorian

Postby Sam » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 12:51 pm

Talorian wrote: 2. a highly formalized, "serious" version of the game, players restrain themselves from messing about or making jokes, and only speak about the game itself, as if they were doing a job interview.

I have to confess, I think I'd struggle with that one... :oops:

But otherwise I think I'm available that weekend.
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 1:05 pm

me too.

The rest sounds good though. I think a lot of it might just be down to army design/choices. As in, lots of flyers, daemons, bikes and Nids etc. would encourage a lot of movement and more fun games. Supershooty Tau and Eldar won't

I think it might be easiest to have the 30 minutes sitting down either before or after the game, discussing the scenario, how it went etc. The serious game one might be quite difficult...
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 1:08 pm

Comrade_Nikolai wrote:I think a lot of it might just be down to army design/choices. As in, lots of flyers, daemons, bikes and Nids etc. would encourage a lot of movement and more fun games. Supershooty Tau and Eldar won't

In fact, this is a good rule for the society in general.
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby The Kremlin » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 1:37 pm

Assuming these details aren't an April 1 thing... I'm more than happy to participate, can provide a very mobile army that means moving around the table a lot, and can probably manage a serious demeanour for a game (easier with WFB, I think, but could do it for 40k too).
The Kremlin

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 1:58 pm

I don't think Fantasy would work too well in this event, we decided last time it would simply take too long to play a game.

I reckon I could play a game seriously, but mostly it has to be around not getting stressed when losing, kind of takes the edge off of things and it's no good for their recordings.

I'd be planning on taking Orks when playing, so rampaging battle wagons ahoy. Also taking things you've not used before as it would be different and potentially interesting enough to be a talking point would be helpful too.
Talorian

Postby Sam » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 2:14 pm

Comrade_Nikolai wrote: As in, lots of flyers, daemons, bikes and Nids etc. would encourage a lot of movement and more fun games. Supershooty Tau and Eldar won't

I could probably managed flying IG for this (or AM, as they're soon to be known... Or maybe even MT! :roll: )

Anyway, back on track. To reassure Kremlin - this is no 1st April joke. This was a really good event last time, very hospitable team running things, and with a generous pizza allowance!

Talorian, I agree that fantasy takes too long. They wanted a higher turn-over last time, and also multiple players round the table. Also, if the set-up is similar to last time I recall plenty of microphones/ audio paraphenalia that made... err, interesting terrain pieces. Ok for 40k, but potentially prohibitive for WFB.
Last edited by Sam on Wednesday 2nd April, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby The Kremlin » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 2:37 pm

Yeah, makes sense.

I just figured that for serious discussion, the agreeing of distances and angles and so on that goes into a competitive WFB game would make good audio. But I'm happy to bring the bikes and get involved in some knife-fighting-range 40k :D
The Kremlin

Postby Mattman » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 4:53 pm

23rd is a Friday right?
Mattman

Postby Talorian » Tuesday 1st April, 2014 11:09 pm

Mattman wrote:23rd is a Friday right?

Yep, but those are the dates he gave and he did say weekend. I'll confirm the actual days/times later.
Talorian

Postby Namhaft » Wednesday 2nd April, 2014 7:28 am

Definately up for this again.
Namhaft

Postby Talorian » Wednesday 2nd April, 2014 12:19 pm

so Charles didn't mean the Friday. Dates are now the 24th/25th May.

He's very keen on doing the serious session. I think some of us could achieve this, but it would work better as either the first or last session and with only those taking part being in the room. Distractions tend to allow the silliness to come in more, so that would let us down. Anyone who thinks they could achieve seriousness for a full half an hour, with no tangents and simply talking about the game as it's being played, put your name down.

Charles would like to do a full 2 days if folks are willing to do that. I'm sure some of you can do both days and if we can get 12 people signed up, I reckon we could easily cover both days with games and get Charles lots of data he can use.

Last time, they got us a load of food from Greggs and Dominoes, so if anyone wants to come and has any alergies or are a veggie....
Talorian

Postby Sam » Wednesday 2nd April, 2014 12:57 pm

Sign me up - I think I should be able to manage serious if it's just for 30 minutes-worth of recording. Just not all day!

Also, I should be fine for both days.
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby seriesofbadjokes » Wednesday 2nd April, 2014 4:28 pm

I'd be up for this again, should be good for both days.
"Home, home on LaGrange: Where the space debris always collects: We possess, so it seems, two of Man's greatest dreams: Solar power and zero-gee sex."
seriesofbadjokes

Postby Rommel » Thursday 3rd April, 2014 3:10 pm

You had me at pizza. Sign me up!
A Murder of Ravens - A Raven Guard Blog

40K Armies: Corellian Storm Guard, Raven Guard, Grey Knights
FoW: .78 Sturmdivision, 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich"
Rommel

Postby Mattman » Thursday 3rd April, 2014 4:26 pm

Do they allow hecklers? ;)
Mattman