Main Introductions Thread 2011

New users, please post here first

Re: Main Introductions Thread 2011

Postby noodle » Wednesday 22nd February, 2012 8:50 pm

yep - ping it to me. If you like you can read through a million words of background and history from the blog to find out what other Iron Warriors have done in the past... Lost mostly :D
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle

Postby CollectiveS » Monday 27th February, 2012 1:07 am

I'm Andy, you might see me hanging around sometimes and possibly (maybe) actually playing with dwarves sometime or occasionally chaos space marines.
I've been playing for...14 years and have mosly been a member of wargames over the past 7 if not the most active.
At least i've finally posted on the boards.
CollectiveS

Postby Ozzy93 » Friday 2nd March, 2012 10:45 am

Hey, my name's Ewan and I'm hoping to come to Sheffield Uni next year to study History. I'm really into Warhammer 40,000 and Lord of the Rings and would be honored to join your society as no one near me at the moment likes either of these. Hope to see you in September! =]
P.S. I'm from Leeds so it would be great to get in contact with anyone from here that goes to Sheffield Uni!
Ozzy93

Postby Talorian » Saturday 3rd March, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Ewan, welcome to the forums. 40k is very popular here, LoTR not so much, but if you have multiple forces, I'm sure you will find someone willing to play a game.
Talorian

Postby BlackCat » Wednesday 2nd May, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi,

This is Victoria, I used to frequent the society a bit back before moving to Edinburgh.

Due to a rather splendid twist of fate, Mike and myself will be moving back to Sheffield from September (yay!) and we are looking forward to returning to the society as well.
We might even pop along a few times before then if we find ourselves in Sheffield : D

I play 40k mostly, but dabble in Epic, Battle Fleet Gothic and Fantasy too. I am going through a 'bit' of a WAAAGH phase at the moment...

I also have a gaming blog: http://gazeofmork.blogspot.co.uk/

Looking forward to joining your gaming group once more, and congrats for your Nationals success!
BlackCat

Postby Rick » Wednesday 2nd May, 2012 6:47 pm

Hey! Welcome back and nice blog! Looking forward to seeing all the stuff you've painted since we last saw you.

BTW, which epic rules are you using? There's been a little interest lately and I've acquired some nids (nothing assembled or painted yet) so it would be good to have some more players to get the ball rolling...
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick

Postby BlackCat » Wednesday 2nd May, 2012 9:49 pm

Hey Rick,

I'm looking forward to being back at the society and having a nosy about all your armies too.

Mike and I have been using the Epic Armageddon ruleset...I've been really enjoying painting epic, something about painting on a super tiny scale is really fun! Do you have the offical 'nid figures?! I occasionally oogle in awe whenever they are on ebay. Luckily the majority of my Epic army had been lurking, un painted and forgotten, under Mikes bed for over a decade- the budget way to get an army!
BlackCat

Postby Rick » Wednesday 2nd May, 2012 11:39 pm

Sadly, most of the nid figures are too expensive to buy off ebay. I've got plenty of the orginal plastic infantry off Ian and I picked up some Hive Tyrants and Dominatrixes (Dominatricies? I can't say I've ever needed to pluralise that word before :o ) off ebay, the rest I'm scratch building when I finally get round to it. NetEpic seems the popular way to go round here.
Rick

Postby Mattman » Thursday 3rd May, 2012 9:20 am

More Epic!!

Interest in NetEpic seems to be gathering at the moment (mainly my fault). I think it is the best system myself and I like the additional detail in the rules compared to EA and E40k, plus the titan hit templates are awesome, even if your Reaver gets taken out in one shot :?

Matt
Mattman

Postby BlackCat » Saturday 12th May, 2012 10:58 am

Rick wrote:Sadly, most of the nid figures are too expensive to buy off ebay. I've got plenty of the orginal plastic infantry off Ian and I picked up some Hive Tyrants and Dominatrixes (Dominatricies? I can't say I've ever needed to pluralise that word before :o ) off ebay, the rest I'm scratch building when I finally get round to it. NetEpic seems the popular way to go round here.

Considering GW is a money-grabbing machine you'd think they cast some more wouldn't you, silly GW. Scratch building 6mm tyranids sounds exciting though, good luck!

Mattman wrote:More Epic!!

Interest in NetEpic seems to be gathering at the moment (mainly my fault). I think it is the best system myself and I like the additional detail in the rules compared to EA and E40k, plus the titan hit templates are awesome, even if your Reaver gets taken out in one shot :?

Matt

Mike and I chose E:A mainly for convience of finding opponets (at our local GW (*shudders*)), it's simplicity and the models we had already fitting nicely into army lists.

I'm relying on mobile internet at the moment so have been reluctant to download the NetEpic files, but have had a quick gander. As long as it doesn't require me to change my lists too drastically and the rules are fun, I don't mind switching rulesets :) To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper, the tinier the tanks, the more concentrated the fun!
BlackCat

Postby Rommel » Sunday 13th May, 2012 9:23 pm

Hello, this is Mike (can't remember if I already have an account). As Victoria said we are coming back!

Raven Guard is my flavour of the month, and I have them in 40K, Epic and soon BFG, ready for campaign deployment. I also have a blog here, when I get round to painting inbetween Xbox sessions, but I'm much slower than Victoria. I also now have a half painted Grey Knight army, although it feels dirty playing it so I stopped (for now), and it doesn't even have purifiers or paladins in it!

My Imperial Guard is still around and ready for games as well. Hope to see you guys soon.

Mike
A Murder of Ravens - A Raven Guard Blog

40K Armies: Corellian Storm Guard, Raven Guard, Grey Knights
FoW: .78 Sturmdivision, 2nd SS Panzer Division "Das Reich"
Rommel

Postby Mattman » Monday 14th May, 2012 10:29 am

BlackCat wrote:Mike and I chose E:A mainly for convience of finding opponets (at our local GW (*shudders*)), it's simplicity and the models we had already fitting nicely into army lists.

I'm relying on mobile internet at the moment so have been reluctant to download the NetEpic files, but have had a quick gander. As long as it doesn't require me to change my lists too drastically and the rules are fun, I don't mind switching rulesets :) To paraphrase Sheldon Cooper, the tinier the tanks, the more concentrated the fun!

There are definitely a lot more options in NetEpic. Orks for example have a choice of around 25 different vehicles compared to around half a dozen in EA, you get to play with weird and wonderful stuff like bubble chuckers, lift droppas, weird boy battletowers and dragstas. The formations are usually larger. The typical Ork clan has some number of Nob stands and then around 15 boyz which you can then potentially increase by another 20 boy stands along with all the fun support cards.

Basing options are flexible, like EA, they just have a minimum size requirement. I have been rebasing my marines on 25mm circles rather than the square or rectangular ones.

Matt
Mattman

Postby Rick » Monday 14th May, 2012 2:14 pm

Interesting idea. I was going to base armies like eldar and tau on rectangular bases to represent them using skirmish lines, but I thought nids might be better on square or round bases to make them look more horde like.
Rick

Postby Talorian » Monday 14th May, 2012 2:33 pm

Rommel wrote:Hello, this is Mike (can't remember if I already have an account). As Victoria said we are coming back!

Raven Guard is my flavour of the month, and I have them in 40K, Epic and soon BFG, ready for campaign deployment. I also have a blog here, when I get round to painting inbetween Xbox sessions, but I'm much slower than Victoria. I also now have a half painted Grey Knight army, although it feels dirty playing it so I stopped (for now), and it doesn't even have purifiers or paladins in it!

My Imperial Guard is still around and ready for games as well. Hope to see you guys soon.

Mike

Wooo more imperials to smoosh..... errr welcome back Mike :D
Talorian

Postby PirateKitten » Monday 4th June, 2012 11:47 pm

Hi! Just Helen saying hi to ya'll ;) For those not in the know I've just started a Eldar Corsair army (basic explanation elven space pirates).
I'm a SHU first year doing chemistry.
So yeah, HI!
PirateKitten

Postby shuddyman » Monday 30th July, 2012 9:21 pm

Hi, I'm Richard, 3rd year BMS at SU. I've been playing for ages but stopped on coming to uni, so i thought id get back into it.

Seems youre all 40k mad, whereas im almost soley a LOTR man with about ten different forces, but i have some eldar knocking about somewhere i think....
Hopefully i can convert you.
shuddyman

Postby Talorian » Sunday 12th August, 2012 10:44 pm

Hi Richard, I'm not an LoTR player myself, but I'm willing to give it a try, especially if giant elephants are involved ;)
Talorian

Previous

Return to Introductions