Main Introductions Thread 2011

New users, please post here first

Main Introductions Thread 2011

Postby KingKazador » Sunday 25th September, 2011 1:57 am

Hello all,

Noodle suggested we have an Intro thread, so here it is :) tis for people to say hello to each other before having to do the awkward "Do I handshake?" thing when meeting people face to face. I say people, ideally meaning new members, but vets if you'd like to say hello to one another here feel free :lol:

Beginning the introductions, I'm Richard (fresher, woo) and I've been playing Warhammer for 8 years or so, looking forward to playing against some new armies (but not Space Wolves... :shock: never again haha )
Charlie Sheen the commissar dies at the hands of a raging Khornate Daemon Prince.
"Okay Mark, roll a 6 now and Sheen's tiger blood and Adonis DNA can save him."
Mark rolls a 5.
"Spose it was one too many seven gram rocks, eh?"
KingKazador

Re: Introductions

Postby Talorian » Monday 26th September, 2011 5:35 pm

OK, looks like I'll be the first vet to post.

I'm Ian, not the Treasurer but the old one, been at the society for 13 years now and I'm still a kiddy wink at heart.

I play Eldar mostly at 40k and Lizardmen at Warhammer Fantasy. Though I do have several armies for both games. I have Uncharted seas, BFG and all sorts of other random odds and bobs from various other gaming systems including, Confrontation, Void, Legend of the High Seas, Pirates of the Spanish Maine, Epic 40,000, Man O War and the list goes on.

To carry on the how long I have been gaming for, errr 23 years I think, dang I'm getting old :D
Talorian

Postby Tikal » Monday 26th September, 2011 6:25 pm

Ah Ian - you have jumped the gun - we were waiting for simon canham to post as the society elder... mind you as he is still trying to get to grips with this new fangled thing call ed the internet it might take a while.

Anyway I'm Tim, have been in sheffield and a member of the soc since 1999 and have done my stint as treasurer when still a student.

For 40K I play spacewolves, the first army I started way back in 2nd ed before I knew what broken meant), and should apologies to Richard (see above).
For Warhammer I have Warriors of Chaos and Vampire Counts

Outside of these mainstay games I have played Bloodbowl, Necromunda, Epic (40K), Confrontation and various other games that have been popular in the past. Aside from minature games I enjoy boardgames and can usually be convinced to play once I have had my tabletop gaming fix.

I started gaming properly around 16 years ago but remember playing Hero Quest many years before that.
What can you do against the lunatic who is more intelligent than yourself, who gives your arguments a fair hearing and then simply persists in his lunacy?
Tikal

Postby Comrade_Nikolai » Monday 26th September, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm Nik, I'll be the one you mistake for a horses ass. (the little one, not the big one; thats Jake.)
"At 6 inches tall the Imperial Knight is a towering war engine."
Comrade_Nikolai
Treasurer

Postby Palfy » Monday 26th September, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm Tom, play Ogres and Chaos Marines for 40k though you'll mostly see my playing fantasy if I can.

If you are new you'll hopefully have spoken with me at some point (either at the activities fair or on Saturday).
John Poultryman
Palfy

Postby noodle » Monday 26th September, 2011 9:16 pm

I'm Duncan. I'm the one who generally runs the campaigns (but help and especially write ups is very much encouraged!). I maintain the blogs, come up with plot ideas and try to make gaming more "fun" while trying to organise everything through the joy of spreadsheets on a laptop barely more powerful than my phone. Although I can't take the credit for all the warhammer campaign - that's been a joint effort.

Gaming wise I;m a "fluff" gamer, which often means I end up playing with one hand behind my back list wise, because I refuse to take obvious cheese - still looking for an army where cheese and fluff interact nicely (without coming up with an extravagant "background" which allows me to take a 3 vendettas/2 steamtanks). However I use this as an excuse when I loose :)

I play 40K Tau & Imperial Guard - sometimes Space Marines but the Blood Martyrs have fallen out of favour. I still can't forgive my assault squad for losing combat to Tau broadsides. In warhammer I have my "bees" - yellow and black Empire of House Alptraum (current rulers of the Holy Sigmarite Empire). In Gothic I have too many fleets (over 8000 points of Imperial) and my front room is filled with years of gaming accessories, half played armies and miniatures over 10 years old still in their box. Its still not as bad as Ian's mind ;)

I joined the society in my 2nd year at uni, in 1997, and am an ex-president. For many years I ran the largest bloodbowl league and now the game fills me with dread. (Team ratings of over 600 are just not right). I've been to many Nationals, run two and won 2 titles (at bloodbowl and gothic before Dave Bone muscled in on both categories in a "ooh Duncan can win that it must be easy" couple of moments :? )

I started playing in 1993 - warhammer. I still have some of my original dwarfs. You don't want to see them.

So I'll be the one moaning at my laptop to WORK DAMN YOU and discussing campaign strategy with Rick in 40K and Sam in Warhammer, then losing at Warhammer because I've forgotten the rules (which edition am I playing now?) or losing at 40k because my army forgets how to shoot - but its OK, it'll be a heroic defeat in my write up :P So come see me about all things campaigny :)
http://alephsector.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector blog
http://alephsectorfiction.blogspot.com/ <---- Aleph sector fiction
http://ww2campaign.blogspot.co.uk/ <---- WW2 campaign
http://palurin.blogspot.com/ <---- Warhammer campaign
noodle

Postby davidmn » Monday 26th September, 2011 10:28 pm

I'm Dave, the new, tall one without a beard. I turned up to the meeting on the 24th.

I am an innocent 1st year Physics and Astrophysics student (I can't wait for that module on THE INTERSTELLAR MEDIUM o.O). I have started a Blood Angels army, I currently have just over 500 points assembled and one model painted how I want and another two very nearly there.
davidmn

Postby Sam » Tuesday 27th September, 2011 9:44 am

Hello, Sam here, another of the "older" gamers.

I joined the society in 2004 in my first year at Dental School, during which time was also Treasurer for a year. Qualified and left university in 2009 but continue to return to wargames society at Sheffield.

I've played loads of different armies over time; currently contributing to team Skaven Typhonian Enclave for the Warhammer campaign, though have also done my bit for Vampire Counts and High Elves (see blog for House Tyrannus and the Aquilan Republic and the Dragon Lords of Mellvellon). I try to help Duncan keep the Warhammer blog up-to-date, so if you have a battle result PM me with details and I can post it for you.

In the grim darkness of the far future I have long played the role of that infamous arch-reaver Grand Admiral Thok, the most formiddable (sometimes... when I roll well) pirate to ply darkness of the Perseus Deeps in games of Battlefleet Gothic. Have previously done my share of helping, and by lack of success hindering :? , the Tau Expedition. Also have a newly painted Imperial Guard army; courtesy of one of our in-house commission painters!

Welcome to all you new people! Hope to see you down at the society.

Edit: also play Uncharted Seas and Flames of War
Last edited by Sam on Tuesday 27th September, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Unleashing a rancid potpouri of lunacy..."
Who writes this stuff?
Sam

Postby The Kremlin » Tuesday 27th September, 2011 10:30 am

Hi, I'm Jake. PhD student, been around a while but not nearly as long as some of the people here. Recognisable for the beard, and I'm also currently the Inclusions Officer, so if anyone has any difficulties please drop me a pm or come speak to me in person, I'll be happy to help.

I only really play Warhammer Fantasy, where I run Lizardmen at the moment but also have a Dark Elf army I'm considering bringing out of retirement, and which has a nice little maritime empire set up in the campaign. The sun never sets over the Dark Elf Dominion!

I do also have Battlefleet Gothic, when I can find the models - a decent sized Imperial fleet.
The Kremlin

Postby thepaintingmonkey » Tuesday 27th September, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi all, I'm Mike, and I like hanging out with friends and long walks on the beach...

Also I'm the "Boggis" of the painterrati in the society.

I am currently painting a dwarf army. Which means I have to use it in games or I feel guilty for spending the money. I'll be the one going "It does WHAT?! But thats completely BROKEN! Boohoohoo" regardless of any unit's given strength.
I also have a painted ork army... it's around here somewhere I know it is...

I actually enjoy uncharted seas - if any of you are curious about that me and Tom will be running some games next weekend, but I recommend that you head over to spartan games and have a look if you've never heard of it.

I've been around the society since 2001, so I guess I'm an old man, though you'd never know it by my constantly cheery distposition and child-like amazment with each new cheesey creation my fellow geeks achieve.
Welcome to the Shatterdome
thepaintingmonkey

Postby Rick » Wednesday 28th September, 2011 9:07 pm

Hmm, not many actual new people posting here... I'm guessing many aren't on the forum yet.

I'm Rick and I enjoy conquoring worlds, subjugating subsectors and trampling on the corpses of my enemies. I also like kittens.

I've been a member since 2000 and I'm into narrative games, campaigns and painting in a big way. I'm currently playing my Tau on Tyndarious and I'm also one part of the multi-faceted entity that is Hive fleet nemesis. My Dark Angels also pop by for occaisonal one off missions, usually by request or to stir up trouble. In the warhammer campaign I am the twitching, furry and barely sane arch-overfiend of the Typhonian Enclave, Typhus himself (I was the one playing my oriental themed skaven last saturday).

Like most of the oldbies I play just about every wargame under the sun, GW and otherwise. At the moment I'm frantically painting trying to get fleets, air forces and alternative lists together for my main factions so I can represent them in all aspects of the campaign.

I've just realised I've been playing wargames for 18 years which may literally be since before some of you new people were born. I'm now off to have a good cry.
40k: Tau (gothic, AI), Tyranids (NetEpic, gothic), Dark Angels
WFB: Skaven (uncharted seas)
Also Played: Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Flames of War
Rick

Postby KingKazador » Thursday 29th September, 2011 2:24 pm

I am 18... and I thought I was old :shock:

Probably shouldn't say that here though, cos of all the vets around who remember the mid Triassic and the Bee Gees :lol:
Charlie Sheen the commissar dies at the hands of a raging Khornate Daemon Prince.
"Okay Mark, roll a 6 now and Sheen's tiger blood and Adonis DNA can save him."
Mark rolls a 5.
"Spose it was one too many seven gram rocks, eh?"
KingKazador

Postby Namhaft » Thursday 29th September, 2011 2:45 pm

I'm Tom (the tall, short-haired one).
I play chaos marines, chaos daemons and am starting a dark eldar force. I also have a gothic chaos fleet and a warriors of chaos fantasy army. As you can probably tell from my choice of armies i like to play the role of the arch enemy in the campaigns. I am well known in the society for my horrifically poor dice rolling (my marines make their power armour out of cardboard) and endless loss streaks. :?
I was last the society's chairman last year and ran 40k in this years student nationals.
I've been wargaming for nearly 14 years. :shock:
Namhaft

Postby Vassakov » Thursday 29th September, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi, I'm The Other Ian. I can usually be found arguing with someone over nothing in particular and will be a wearing a heavy metal t-shirt in most cases.

My armies are Space Wolves, Traitor Guard and Daemons for 40K, and though I'm toying with BFG I currently don't play anything else. I'm also the Treasurer for this year, so I'm responsible for all your wonderful subs!

Although I've only been with Sheffield for a year, I've been gaming since 2001 and ran two clubs back home, both of which still run. Always up for a game of 40K, my armies try to stay in the middle ground of hard-but-not-cheesy, so it's usually fairly close!
Vassakov

Re: Main Introductions Thread 2011

Postby spwrba » Saturday 22nd October, 2011 10:44 pm

yer, im simon, i play ogres and maybe necrons if the new codexs is any good and i can get around to rebuilding my army :)
spwrba

Postby JJK » Sunday 23rd October, 2011 12:08 am

Hi I'm Joe,

Just getting back into 40K after a decade's absence.
Im cobbling together 500 points of Blood Angels with a mix of the new stuff and some of my old models, so at the moment i've not got much painted (and what is painted was done by my 10 year old self so the quality is fairly dubius).

I've only been down on one saturday so far, but hopefully i'll make an appearance this saturday (29th) or next, depending on the United fixture list and my painting progress.

Iv got a basic grasp of the rules but im still fairly new so i apologise in advance if my first few games have somewhat of a step-by-step feel to them, but hopefully a few of the other newbies will be roughly in the same boat! If any one fancies getting few easy victories under their belt then you know where to look, just so long as you can tolerate me getting to know the ropes a bit...

Unfortunately as a 5th year the university life has wreaked havoc on my bank balance so i'll probably be limited to fairly low points games for a while, but im sure i wont be the only one.

Anyway, i'll probably get to meet some more of you in a week or so hopefully,
In a bit
x
JJK

Postby Dephiler » Sunday 23rd October, 2011 4:21 pm

Howdy, I'm Phil

My Warhammering has been on hiatus for a couple of years but I'm back to playing toy soldiers to escape the reality of writing my thesis once in a while. During the week I live in Nottingham and poke the chromosomes of mutant yeast in the name of science but I'll be around on saturdays looking for a game with my growing squad of chaos marines. I used to own tomb kings, tyranids, chaos warriors and dark eldar, but due to constrains on my time and bank balance I'll stick with my chaos marines for the time being (famous last words?)
Row Row fight the powah!
Dephiler

Postby MrSwazzle » Monday 24th October, 2011 9:49 am

Hi all, I'm Rob.
I first started playing warhammer in the mid 90's which I think was 4th/5th edition with high elf and dark elf armies. Then following a few years out of the hobby was tricked into starting a 40k army. So I am currently playing dark angels in 40k. I also play warmachine and hordes with a protectorate of menoth army and small blindwater congregation gatorman force. I know this game is not regularly played at the club but if anyone is interested in trying it out let me know and I will do my best to bring both my armies down for an intro game.
MrSwazzle

Postby Shaidar Haran » Wednesday 2nd November, 2011 2:23 pm

Hi, I'm Chris.

Unlike most my wargaming didn't actually start until I got to university!
I have played several armies and although I still have them you will mostly see me playing necrons! I play fantasy but am currently more entertained by 40k (something to do with a new codex for my army!)

I also happen to be one of the people that plays warmachine and would be happy to get games of that going again! I also tend to participate in our attempts at playing new games that we have found tried and mostly given up on!
Though this be madness, yet there is method in it.

Chris
Shaidar Haran

Postby zerabable » Monday 21st November, 2011 1:39 am

Hi, I'm Chris

I'v been playing warhammer for about 6 years, i started with fantasy but and stopped 3 years ago, and been playing 40k since. I'm a tau player for 40k with a slightly long loss streak, and in fantasy i have high elves and dwarves.

Hopefully i'll see you all at the next meeting :)
zerabable

Next

Return to Introductions